10g Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33miles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok......fishless cycle is complete....

I've got a 10 gallon non-planted tank and i'm looking for tips on what to stock.....
how many to start with.....and how to properly acclimate them to the tank. Thanks!!

Ok......fishless cycle is complete....

I've got a 10 gallon non-planted tank and i'm looking for tips on what to stock.....
how many to start with.....and how to properly acclimate them to the tank. Thanks!!

Well, Mollies, Danios (I reccomend Glofish), guppies, tetra. Maybe an exotic pleco. NOT A COMMON!!! Hmmm... oh, and Dwarf Gouramis.

First put in a couple feeder guppies or rosy reds to start the nitrate cycle.

Then, after a week with those, put in a few more. Just let the bag float for 15 minutes. Make sure the PH is the same or within .2 of the place where you bought them. I would keep it at about 7.2. Maybe a pinch of aquarium salt if you don't have any plecos. PLEASE do a 20-25% water change with an aquarium syphon (to clean rocks) about twice a month. I wouldn't change more than that unless the water is horrible.

In a 10 gallon, I'd consider doing a dwarf African frog. It wouldn't mix well with fish, but it could be very fun.

If you want fish, then I'd go with a school of small fish like white cloud mountain minnows or neons. Alternatively, you could do a trio (1 m & 2 f) of guppies, endlers, or mosquito fish. Some fry surviving to adulthood could be accommodated, but you wouldn't be able to keep more than 4-5 additional adults, and of course, they'd produce more offspring themselves.

Danios aren't a great choice for a 10g... they like more swimming room.

If you've already cycled there's no need for feeder fish as Pleco_fan suggested... just start adding stock.

I'm a fan of a schooling fish (some sort of tetra perhaps) and a group of cories myself...

thanks for the replies!!....

i remember seeing on another post (can't find it) where someone suggested platies and some danios and maybe a bn pleco for a 10 gal tank??

the fish in this aquarium are the sole pets for my kids (3 under 4yrs.) so i'm looking for something low maintenance

i remember seeing on another post (can't find it) where someone suggested platies and some danios and maybe a bn pleco for a 10 gal tank??

the fish in this aquarium are the sole pets for my kids (3 under 4yrs.) so i'm looking for something low maintenance

Low maintenance = Danios

They are the hardiest of the small breeds. I would keep it under about 8 though. 6-8 is probably good. I have 11 in my 14 gallon, plus several others. I would also get a few ghost shrimp or a small breed catfish for the clean-up crew. Glofish are the coolest type of Danio, and they are impossible to kill.

guppies... will teach the kids about "the birds and the bees" ;)

or some dwarf cichlids like German Rams and a small school of neons

Back
Top Bottom