10G Tank - cycling issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm running into several problems with my 10G tank. Here's the history.

Bought a new tank 10G with heater. Added fish in 2 days without knowing about cycling. Fishes got ick...added ick medicine. I treated for couple of days without carbon. I put the carbon back and it became blue. Week later fishes got ick again, i took the carbon out and added ick medicine again. Three weeks i was struggling with ick. Then added the carbon back. Main mistake i did was i rinsed the carbon with cold water from tap. So tank did not cycle for one month. Then i got irritated with cycling and went to LFS to get some filter media or gravel. Got some gravel from running tank and added. Cycling did not start yet. Went again and got a filter media. Did a big water change almost 90%. Added dechlorinated water and added filter media and added all the fishes. Two days i saw nitrate close to 5ppm. I thought it worked and was happy. Checked again yesterday and i'm seeing ammonia rising to 0.25. I did a 25% water change and added prime. Checked again today, ammonia was same 0.25. Did one more 25% water change.

Please tell my why the cycling did not continue and why i'm seeing ammonia again. Did all the BB died? Temperature is constant at 78. Will prime kill the BB? Please help.

OK, a fish-in cycle will take weeks not days. You mentioned ammonia and nitrAtes, are you testing for nitrItes? The first stage of the cycle is the ammonia stage, when you are getting consistent ammonia readings of 0 you will likely be in the nitrIte phase of the cycle, which lasts longer that the ammonia phase. You may want to test you tap water to see if it contains ammonia, it often does. ALWAYS USE PRIME!! It will not kill bacteria but it will neutralize any chlorine or ammonia in your tap water.
Just be patient and continue to do water changes to keep the levels safe for your fishies and your tank will eventually cycle.

Scalare said:
Hi freshyfish, take some time out and read this article carefully, it's
important you fully cycle your tank or your fish will die. if you have any questions there is always someone here who can answer them for you.
Good Luck.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Pete

If I didn't misread, you currently have fish in the tank? Make sure you don't try a fishless cycling method if you have fish. Here's a link to help walk you through a fish-in cycle - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

If you do find a temporary home for the fish and want to do a fishless cycle...check out Scalare's link or the one in my signature. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom