10gal planted shrimp tank needs upgraded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 10gal tank with black sand substrate, java moss, 3rosefolia plants(not growing but staying alive) 3 moss balls, and 1 peice of drift wood. i also have about 100 rcs of all diff sizes. im using 2 of the walmart screw in cfl bulbs in the standared 10gal hood, giving me 26watt(2.6wpg)

i have a few ??. 1st questiong is can i paint the background black without braking down the tank?(outside of the glass)

questiong #2 i want to grow some more interesting plants and need to get better lighting. what would be a good wpg number to try for to have high light plants?

#3should i try to stick with a hood style light or go with a light that is mounted above the tank?

#4 what for ferts should i go with? easy is the better

i do plan on getting a co2 system

oh and my filter is 1 that a freind gave me from walmart, with a foam filter over the intake to protect the baby shrimp.

any info or suggestions will help me

You might get more answers if you post in the planted tank section of the freshwater forum! We've got some great plant guys here at AA who are more then willing to help you with your questions. :)

1. If you use a brush, not an aerosol, you can carefully paint the back of the tank.

2. A 10g is too small to follow the Wpg guidelines very well. You'll need more Wpg than say a 40g to achieve the same light levels. Aim for 3.5 Wpg at least. Your telanthera will appreciate it. I killed mine by not giving it enough light.

3. You'll probably have to DIY something to get that much light over a 10g. LEDs would be a good option because you can cram a lot of them in a small space.

4. Look into getting some dry ferts and doing EI or PPS Pro dosing. EI requires no testing, PPS Pro is more efficient, but requires some tuning.

thank you very much for your input.

so i should shoot for about 35-40watt of litght?

are the ferts somthing that gets added to the water collum or the substaright?

do you think it would be easyer and nicer looking paint job to just buy another 10gal tank for $13 and spray it, then transfer everything over to the new tank?​

35W-40W of good light will probably be good. If your hood has really crappy reflectors like my stock hoods do, try painting the inside of the hood gloss white. It'll act as a decent reflector.

I have my ferts mixed in solution and I add them directly to the water column with a syringe.

I'm sure you'd get a nicer paint job, but it would be a lot of work to move everything. Trying to catch all the RCS in a densely planted tank is not something I'd relish doing. I have a hard enough time catching 20 RCS when I sell them.

yea the rounding up of the shrimp is what has halted me from already going that route lol

as far as doing an led diy project i think im gona have to pass unless i can con my buddie into doing it for me. i have been looking thru you thread and have to say i have no clue whats going on haha.
i wish i could find a 18in t5 or t8 bulb. i could make a hood or canopy to fit the fixtur into. im good at metal working and fabrication. gona keep looking for some options

thanks again for your help you'v given me

If you get some thin aluminum, polish it, and curve it into a semicircle, you could make reflectors for some CFLs. Four 13W or 18W CFLs with good reflectors should work, even with all the restrike.

Back
Top Bottom