110 Gal Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bad news update-
I lost two discus. The only thing that happened was a slight drop in pH from 7 to 6.4 over the course of a couple days due to the CO2 being on too high. There were no physical symptoms, they just dropped dead. They were eating fine, swimming ok, and interacting just fine. I emailed my supplier, but he hasn't gotten back to me. I'm hesitant to treat for anything since they're so sensitive. I did a 25% water change and cleaned out the filter after I found the first one. I'm hoping I won't lose any more, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did :[

Another one died. I'm afraid I might lose them all. They're still eating fine and swimming around, they just drop dead. I'm wondering if it might be stress from noise or light or movement? My water parameters haven't changed.

How do you know the co2 is too high? Are you monitoring with a controller or using a drop checker? I would suggest turning the co2 down and having lots of water movement on the surface to adequately provide them with oxygen, just until they are healthier and you have no more losses.

I really don't think a drop of .6 over two days would kill them. Are you able to shut off the co2 at night? My tap water is at 8.2 for ph and I bring it down to 6.9 ph. But I use a ph monitor which never gets turned off, even during water changes.

That really sucks that they died. I know how expensive they can be.

How do you know the co2 is too high? Are you monitoring with a controller or using a drop checker? I would suggest turning the co2 down and having lots of water movement on the surface to adequately provide them with oxygen, just until they are healthier and you have no more losses.

I really don't think a drop of .6 over two days would kill them. Are you able to shut off the co2 at night? My tap water is at 8.2 for ph and I bring it down to 6.9 ph. But I use a ph monitor which never gets turned off, even during water changes.

That really sucks that they died. I know how expensive they can be.

I use a drop checker, and I have since turn the CO2 off and the pH is moving closer to 7. I do shut off the CO2 at night. I'll add an airstone to the tank for more O2

photo update
I got my camera serviced and took some photos of my remaining discus. They seem to be healthy and I don't think I'll lose anymore now that the pH has stabilized.

Attachments

• DSC_0115.jpg
    DSC_0115.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0145.jpg
    DSC_0145.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 108
What strain is the last pic? I really like it. It's really nice! Looks like a wild discus.

How are the blue rams with the discus? No nipping or any aggression?

I just read the whole thread.. I'm sorry about your discus :(

Moved some mother swords that got too big for my 55gal into the tank. All discus are doing fine now. The wood is becoming more and more waterlogged.

Attachments

• image-1238032244.jpg
    image-1238032244.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 94
just an update- the golden ram and german blue have spawned, as well as the blue turquoise and red scribble discus. I think the water is too hard for the eggs to be fertilized so I've gradually been adding peat water. I'll upload some new pics soon

can't wait for the pics! How are your discus? Is your avatar a new discus of yours?

Back
Top Bottom