12 g fluval edge FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittens13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everybody!
I am super new here, and super excited because my boyfriend and I have started planning for our first saltwater tank! We want something small, because we only live in a 700 square foot apartment (we have renovated the entire place). I know it's easier to start bigger, but we don't have the space for it, so please leave those suggestions out of this conversation. (When we buy a larger place we will upgrade.)

We are looking at the 12 gallon Fluval Edge and we want it as FOWLR.

We know what livestock we want is 2 ocellaris clown fish, a citron clown goby and either a black and white chromis or a royal gramma basslet. I also want to get 1 or 2 pom pom crabs, some sexy anemone shrimp, a sea star (blue and pink), 2 dwarf hermit crabs, 4 nerite snails, 4 nassarius snails, and 4 astraea turbo snails.

We will not venture to the live corals at all since those seem to be super needy. I know it's a little cliche, but in addition to the live rock and live sand we also are going to add in a fake anemone (found one that is safe for clowns and non-toxic and looks real) and a finding nemo aerating volcano (for fun!) and maybe some fake corals to add color to the tank. We are going to keep it super classy (I AM an architect/designer so I want it to look natural-ish but fun). What we want is a finding nemo-ish tank from the dentist office (stock too, though I think the 4 or 3 stripe damsel is too mean for the other fish we want, and the tang and moorish idol are too big) hence the volcano.

In order to keep those livestock alive, do we need to add anything that doesn't come stock with the Fluval Edge? I am thinking I may need a protein skimmer, small air pump, heater, and maybe a powerhead... Can you guys think of anything additional that we might need/want for easy care? And any suggestions on interesting additions to the tank would be appreciated as well. (Something black and white striped? yellow?)

Thanks for all your CONSTRUCTIVE comments.

I really hate to be the bringer of bad news, really, but you can't put all those fish in a 12g tank. :-(

You are kinda limited in what you can get but there are some options. I would go to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and checkout their nano fish section, they have a ton of tiny fish that might be able to go in there.

You wouldnt need much equipment wise, just the tank, heater, filter and the light. :) You can do small water changes every week and that will take care of the water parameters.

I had a 4g tank and I was able to keep a single clown goby and he was awesome. I would look at them. :)

You also can keep some very cool inverts like sexy shrimp, porcelain crabs and cool hermits.

almost forgot, you dont want anything like the volcano in there, it will cause spritz that will leave salt water creep all over the top, same reason you dont use an air pump in saltwater. A small powerhead would be good as well if you like, such as a 160 gph small one.

Thanks for the help. :)

So no volcano and no air pump (right?)... Saltwater creep does not sound good.

Add powerhead, protein skimmer, heater. Anything else for that tank?

So we definitely want the clowns, what else could we put in there? Can I still do the pom pom crab and sexy anemone shrimp?

We haven't bought the tank or anything yet. We just want to get a shopping list for now. :) And we won't be starting for a few months, until we get all our other apartment storage solved. But we want to be well prepared when we do start the process. Do you have any tips for making things easier (besides upgrading)?

THANKS! :)

Forgot to ask if I really need the powerhead... Will that make maintaining healthy water parameters easier and is it better for the fishies?

The powerhead will help supply oxygen to the tank same as an airstone. :) And salt creep is nasty, it leaves white crispy residue all over everything .lol
There would be NO skimmer for that tank size, just the water changes like I mentioned.

I know you have your heart set on clowns, I know the feeling about wanting a specific fish and being told it's a no go, but clowns can get a couple inches, they dont stay tiny like in the lfs unfortunately. It's recommended that you have a 30g or larger tank for clowns. You can get away with a 20g tall in my opinion but anything smaller just isnt going to work. Check out that site I posted, it will confirm what I am telling you. That site is very accurate and very helpful, I used it and still do when looking for fish and coral.
Now, you may have seen clowns at your lfs in a tiny tank or on youtube but it is not a healthy enviroment for them to be in such a small tank, I'm not just saying that, it's fact. And keep in mind even your lfs may say sure put two in but in the end the store is just trying to make a profit and in some cases just cant be trusted. Do some research and you can make the decision yourself.
Two 3 inch fish in an 11g will just cause your parameters to be outta whack and can actually cause stress and even disease can result from it. It's serious business. lol
I wanted a yellow tang for so long but my 55g wasnt enough to keep them disease free and unstressed so I just waited until I could get a 6 foot tank and then I got my tangs. :) It's all a matter of patience in saltwater, in fact ranking everything I think going slow and not overdoing it are the MOST important factors when keeping saltwater. More important than equipment or anything else for that matter.

Would a protein skimmer help out though? Or would it create other issues in the tank?

So no clowns... Sad day, but ok.

So maybe, instead, a citrin goby, maybe a purple firefish, and a yellow banded possum wrasse? can I still do pom pom crab and sexy anemone shrimp? I'd love the helfrichi firefish but they are too much for me to spend on 1 fish...

What about a 20 gallon high! They don't take up much space either.

You would have to have an internal skimmer and the selection is slim with those plus it would take up a huge chunk of your tank! Trust me, on such a small tank a water change is a minor thing, take out a few cupfuls and replace with new salt water. done. I loved the water changes on my 4g, it was the only tank I didnt mind doing it on. lol Should take you less than five minutes to do and would be the best option in my experience. No need to buy equipment that you wont need. :)

Let me put it this way, if I were stocking that tank I would most likely stay more with inverts and coral than fish. But the fish I would consider would be: clown gobies, neon gobies, maybe a goby and shrimp pair, greenbanded goby, red headed goby or a hi fin or wheeler goby or a yellow watchman. Not all of them of course just a couple. lol

I have a citron and love him but he is in a 60g tank and previously in a 29g tank. They like to perch almost all day so I think you can have him and not be worried. :)

The shrimp and goby pair are very cool. The fish will bring food back to the den that he shares with the shrimp and be like a lookout for the shrimp. Its one of those nature things thats very interesting.

It's great that you are flexible with stocking, and I wish clowns would stay healthy and be fine but it is what it is so best to pick some fish that will be happy in your tank.

If you wanted you could keep coral as well, nothing crazy, simple things like zooanthids and maybe some mushrooms and leathers. You can get a clip on led light for probably $50 or so and be set. You would have to do weekly water changes but nothing else really. Those water changes would be enough to keep your parameters in check as well as add the elements that corals need to live well. :)

Back
Top Bottom