125 gallon build log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The RCS are surviving. The adults appear to be safe, however they do hide a lot of the time, I feed at the front glass so I can attempt to get an inventory, and they come out and hang out and eat, then go basically back into hiding. None of the fish bother the adults, but I've seen no juvies whatsoever since fish went in.

The tank has really gotten overgrown recently. That was the plan, so it's coming along. I meant to snap an updated pic last night but forgot, so I'll do it tonight. Saturday is the club auction, so I'll probably let it go until Sat morning, then trim everything down a lot.

I'm in a big debate right now. I have 2 rather large plants in the tank. A Red Tiger Lotus, and of course the lace plant. I'm considering pulling them. The RTL is easy, you can't even hardly tell it's in the tank, so it won't be missed, and the surface leaves it puts out I have to keep trimming because they block too much light and the stellata and macranda suffer when that happens. The Lace plant I'm struggling with. It's a gorgeous plant, and is very very healthy (still constantly flowering, and you should see it when it pearls), but it's so big. Leaves on it have gotten over 30" long now. They're folding over on themselves because there's no room to stretch out. It takes up the entire center section of my tank, so I'm debating whether to keep it or not.

Last edited:
I know how you feel Neilan, I just reluctantly sold my M Lace.
When I rescaped my 92G I moved it to my other big tank hoping it would be ok there but it wasn't to long before I convinced myself the tank would be better off without it.
It's a love hate relationship huh.......on the one hand it's a gorgeous plant and on the other it's always in the way of what your tryin to do.
I'm not completely through with it yet though.
Before I moved it late last year, I split the bulb and now I've got myself a smaller version growing very slowly in a low tech setup.
I'll probably get rid of that one too at some point, but it was the only way I could bring myself to getting rid of the larger plant. ;)
Yes, I have collectoritus :jump:

Random updated shots.

125 FTS 4.21.08 edit.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

Wow! That's really filling in nicely. The one thing that really doesn't work for me is the broad leafed plants in the front of the aquarium.

I don't know what happened because the 4 regular otos are still there but my zebra otos disappeared. i never even saw any floating or stuck to the filter corpses. Just dont see them anywhere anymore.

Wow! That's really filling in nicely. The one thing that really doesn't work for me is the broad leafed plants in the front of the aquarium.

I agree. I don't like those. They're going to the auction this weekend, they just needed a place to live until then.

I don't know what happened because the 4 regular otos are still there but my zebra otos disappeared. i never even saw any floating or stuck to the filter corpses. Just dont see them anywhere anymore.

They love to hide, check around for them, shake your plants a little. I did lose 6 of mine (ouch!), and I finally found their corpses hidden inside some resin decor. Dunno if that was on purpose, or if they got dragged in there though.

still as always absolutly stunning

Thank you! I don't personnally feel like there's any real 'scape' to it yet, just kinda clustered stuff around. I'm hoping to change that this weekend.

Beautiful tank! Can't wait to see what it looks like after you move things around : ) post more pics : )

If only that lace would fit in my 5 gal. I would take it off your hands. . . *sigh*. Its a good thing I saw the pic or yours though, now I won't be tempted to try and get a lace plant for my tank. . .

The tank is gorgeous though! I love all the fish you've got in there, there looks like a good variety. Any more plans in the fish department?

Jungle-ish is right. Nothing wrong with that look though, usually what most of mine turn out to be. But, I'd like to keep this one a little more maintained, at least for now.

As for more fish, yeah, I want another school of something. Thinking large school (24 or so) of tetras, or something, but haven't really found "the one" yet.

I love rummynose. I have about 5 in another tank, but I've had the hardest time getting quality specimens around here.

Harlequin or Espei Rasboras would look awesome. I have 11 in a 29g and may eventually move them to a 75g. They school pretty tightly in the 29g now. I think they'd be amazing in a huge school like 20 or 24.

Rasboras are on the table, but honestly I'm not a huge fan of them. Can't explain why, they just don't really do it for me I guess.

Haha...I understand. I feel that way about some fish. :) I forgot to say above that I 3rd or 4th the Rummynose suggestion, but it can be hard to get healthy ones. And the fact that they are prone to transport shock (why you lose alot in the beginning) is hard too, especially if you are wanting a huge school. You'd have to buy double what you wanted. :rolleyes:

How are the Furcatas doing?

I had also convinced myself that since I had rummies in another tank, I needed something different for variety. But, I've since made the decision to tear down the other tank (perhaps to make it SW?!?!), so I'm going to be transferring the 5 I have into this tank anyway, perhaps they do need some new friends.

Furcata's are doing great. I was nervous, my first online fish purchase, but they shipped really well, started eating within hours, and remain very active and they are gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom