125 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazypetpeople

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey!
So we have a 20 gallon brackish tank we are upgrading to a 125. We just want to do this right however. I have been doing some research and found that the pennplax Cascade had some really good reviews and that an inline heater may be best. But I dont quite know how to set up these items and if there is a certain inline heater for that filter that works better? I welcome all input!
BTW its a planted brackish tank.

For a 125 gallon, I'd strongly suggest a wet/dry filter (sump). They are very efficient and you can put the heater in the sump or overflow.

You can build one yourself but you can get on the web and order one (or at least see what they look like) at Drs FosterSmith or Marine Depot. A sump is essentially a tank of 20-30 gallons that would be place underneath the main tank. Water flows into an overflow down into the sump through filter material, then into a reservoir of plastic strip or balls or something that holds the bacteria. Then the water gets pumped back into the tank. It moves a lot of water, does a great job of filtering, and aerates the water thoroughly. It's easy to clean and you don't see much of it. For 125 gallons, in my opinion, it's by far the best filtering solution.
They are a bit expensive compared to HOBs, but worth the cost. Or you can build one yourself.

Is it gonna be a problem that the tank won't be near a water source(sink)? It's not going to be routed into the main water or anything.

I presume that the the tank is close enough to a water source to change the tank water regularly. That's all you need. The sump doesn't need to be near a water supply as it just recycles the tank water. The tank and sump act as one unit.

You can attach an inline heater if you want but you can also put a submersible heater in the sump. Sand or any other substrate doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom