125 reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's 1/8" foam backed board. My sisters run a picture framing business and it's what they use for inside the frames.

I have an ASM G4X on my system and I'm pleased with how well it works. What kind of pump is on your Octo? I believe that the new Octopus skimmers are the revision of the old ASMs. Just curious what pump they are usuing on them now. Mine has a Sedra 9000.

That ASM is a good one. It's very similar in specs to my Octo. I think the G4X has a 8.25" diameter body and the Octo is 8".
AFAIK, all the Octo "NW" models use an Octopus Turbine Pump (OTP). Mine uses the OTP3000. The new Octo Extreme MSX models use a Sicce pump.

Hmmm...That is interesting. After you made that post I just happen to have my skimmer off line and measured the body and it is 10" in diameter. Maybe it's not an ASM....I don't know for sure I bought it for $50 and replaced the pump on it with the same pump it had the Sedra 9000. It is 30" tall so maybe it's some odd ball. I don't know. I bought replacement parts for it from ASM.

It doesn't say ASM on it anywhere that I can see. Maybe it is a custom with some ASM parts or compatable parts.

If they are pretty much the same design, they are probably made in the same factory in China. Who cares what logo or name they eventually put on it. ASM's usually have the ASM logo engraved on the lid of the cup. Sounds like you got an awesome skimmer for $50! Aquabee and Sicce are real good pumps, but real expensive too.

I'm not complaining at all. I just think a better pump will make it more effecient. It's doing a fine job for the 72 (180gallons total system) but I'm going to the 210g tank in the next couple of months and I don't know if it is going to be enough skimmer for that tank. I expect to have a little over 350gallons total in the new system. I guess we will see.

Hey cccapt, could you explain a little more on your 3 inch pvc pipe with holes at the bottom. Are the water just coming out of the bottom of that pipe, or is it flowing out the top also. One more thing is the pipe higher than your baffles, and did you glue it down?

The water just comes out the bottom holes. I drilled quite a few. The 3" pipe is about 3-4" above the water line in that section of the sump so water doesn't flow out of the top. It really cut down on the microbubbles coming into the sump from the overflows.
They aren't glued to anything. The 1" pvc drain line goes down into the 3" pretty far and at a slight angle so holds it in place. I can't take the 3" pieces out unless I take out the 1" piece 1st.

sump3_2-08.jpg

Hey cccapt, is the flow from skimmer side going past the fuge a little fast with the sump setup like this? I am doing the same setup as you, only in a 40g for my 75.

I don't really think it's too fast. My pump is 1200gph, but with the head loss, what you see is about 850-900gph thru the sump.
If you made a similar sump, I would suggest that were you see the eggcrate, also add a piece of plexi and glue it like the middle piece of the baffle setup....about 2" off the bottom. I wish I did that, because I still have a few microbubbles that get into the last section where the pump intake is. The extra peice of plexi would probably eliminate those few mb's that get that far. Having the plexi above the bottom would not have any affect on the water level in that section, plus it would make it harder for the mb's to get down under it and into the pump.

Just curious why did you use eggcrate for the return section baffle of the sump and not just another piece of acrylic baffle. was it so the evaporation took place in the fuge as well and not just the return section?

A few won't do anything except get pumped back up into the tank. A lot, and I mean a real lot of mb's can cause the pump to cavitate, which can cause even more getting pumped into the tank. It could make the pump louder too.
As far as service on the pump, I'm hoping none...lol. This is the first external pump I used. It's magnetic drive, so there's no seals or anything to change. I guess if anything, just keep the impellor clean. I clean the cup and neck on the skimmer once/week. I change the gfo in my reactor once/month. I do a 20g pwc every 2 weeks and the sump is big enough that I can just pull 20g out of and add the new water. I don't have to disturb the main if I don't need to do any "spot cleaning" in it.

Just curious why did you use eggcrate for the return section baffle of the sump and not just another piece of acrylic baffle. was it so the evaporation took place in the fuge as well and not just the return section?
Well, I never thought about microbubbles getting that far so I figured eggcrate would be fine for keeping the macro out of the pump. If I was to drain my sump and make some changes, I would add a piece of plexi, 2" off the bottom, about 1" or so past the eggcrate in the pump sect.
With the plexi being off the bottom, it has no affect on the water level in either section.

I ordered glass cut to size for my sump, but I guess I could make a plexi out of that last one and see what happens. Thanks Cccapt, I'll let you know how it goes when its up and running. How far apart did you do your baffles anyways, 1" or more?

They are about 1 1/2" apart. Just enough so I could get silicone on both sides.

Good luck with your project!

Back
Top Bottom