125 stocklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel84

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I will have a 125 dt, 60 sump, skimmer rated for 250gal. So here is a stocklist of fish for my reef
Yellow Tang
Kole Tang
Coral Beauty
Yellow watchman
3 banghaii cardinals
3 Firefish
3 Leopard wrasse
Red and Green Mandarins

Is this too much? If I have room I'd like to add a Potters Angel as well. Any thoughts?

So I will have a 125 dt, 60 sump, skimmer rated for 250gal. So here is a stocklist of fish for my reef
Yellow Tang
Kole Tang
Coral Beauty
Yellow watchman
3 banghaii cardinals
3 Firefish
3 Leopard wrasse
Red and Green Mandarins

Is this too much? If I have room I'd like to add a Potters Angel as well. Any thoughts?

Pick a leopard wrasse or a mandarin. Do not get more than one of either fish. The mandarin will get outcompeted for food from the leopard wrasse quite easily. Both are very difficult fish to keep being that neither tend to eat prepared foods. Keeping 3 will be impossible in that size tank IMO. They will fight or just die because they won't eat. I think 10 fish is fine, I wouldn't add the potters though, they are another very finicky fish and will for sure fight with the coral beauty.

So if I drop the wrasse' I could have my mandarins?

You will have trouble keeping one mandarin in there unless you get it to eat frozen. If you get one to eat frozen then you could try another but I'd start with one and not add him for about 6-8 months.

I figured itd be a year before I did the mandarins anyways.

Ah ok then yeah if you drop the wrasses you should be ok as long as you can get the mandarins eating frozen.

Stock list is good minus the wrasses. I would also go with one mandarin as well. Even with frozen, they prefer live pods and can wipe out a tank quickly. Maybe look into something along the lines of a possum wrasse, much smaller and mine loves frozen. I have two in a 135 and they are doing great.

It's my understanding that angel fish like your coral beauty do not do well in reefs. Well better stated would be they'll do fine, it's your corals that may suffer.

Leopard wrasses are not hard to keep as long as you buy one that eats frozen food. It's been my experience. I had an African leopard wrasse and she was a pig. Mandarins are delicate even the ones conditioned to eat frozen food. You will have to target feed the mandarins because everybody else will get the food before it reaches the mandarins. That makes it time consuming. I had a red scooter blenny that ate frozen food. It didn't last long as it died after I went away for 2 days. I would not ever recommend a dragonet to anybody.

As for types of leopards I would stick to African, black leopard or regular. Don't get Potters Leopard wrasse. They are not as adaptable to captivity as the ones mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom