125g Planted Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me and the wood are not getting along right now. It's a local piece, actually sycamore. It's kinda soft on the outside. And it doesn't sink lol. I think I"ll sell it and buy some small pieces. Maybe some limbs or a big root or something.

Good news. About half of the dirt has sunken. The remainder is still floating. I'm going to give it a couple more days. I still have to get some more PFS. I only have 1 bag and I'll need 2 minimum. I'll probably just buy 2 bags in case. I'll definitely use it at some point.

The cost will be worth it. I miss having a Rena. Great filters. Sorry to hear about the wood, that's a bummer!

I have 2 Renas, an XP3 on my 55 keeps it crystal clear. Its never given me any trouble had it for almost 3years now. Just got a 150 and a XP4 and so far so good. You should be happy with it... Interesting thread so far really want to see how it goes for ya. Good luck!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

I really like my Fluvals (305 and 405), but the more I use my eheim on my 40, the more I like the simplicity that the XP series seems to have in common with the eheim. We'll see how it works out. Also looks easier to cut the tubing and run my reactor than the fluvals.

Haha see that's why I got mine too, I have an eheim 2213 on my 48 and I love it. My lfs uses the Rena and they really put me on to them. I like how you can use the same trays in all there filters too, good for seeding other tanks.

I almost bought an inline heater, but decided against it. I'll have my co2 reactor hooked up and really don't want to put anymore pressure on the pump or hook anything else up causing me to run the hose any longer

I was looking at them too but then I saw Rena sells a heater that hooks to the intake. Not to sure how good they are but they do sell a 300w.

I just remembered I have a 10g tank with about 2" of PFS and no telling how many MTS in there. I think I'll pull that substrate out and put in this tank. I want to have some MTS in this tank.

okay this might be a dumb question, but what is MTS aside from it being Multiple Tank Syndrome? LOL. I know it is some kind of a snail? I have several pond snails I just found out in both my 5g and 4.4g which are fishless cycling. They hitched a ride to the java moss I got from the LFS.

If you say, they are good, then I won't go to any extreme in taking them out then. If they will tend to overpopulate my poor little tanks, then please let me know. I am using the flake method in both this tank.

MTS are Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They're more cone shaped and stay burried in the substrate during the day. They're actually livebearing snails. They don't cause overpopulation issues since you really only see them at night. They are also very benificial because they constantly keep the substrate loosened up allowing better root growth. Pond snails are a bit different. I have them too, and actually like them. They don't become an issue either if you don't overfeed. You may have an explosion of them at first with the fish food cycling method, but once you get your tank established, you shouldn't have many at all.

ohhh okay....thanks for that....I was gonna go get me an assassin snail. but then i was advised that since I am not done cycling yet, to wait. :) so maybe now i won't get one...we'll see.

Alright... so I have a few days to plan my stocking...

Here's my initial thought:

8x- Angels. Probably veiltail or some variation (Will only keep 2 pairs)
10x- Panda Cory
25x- Kerri Tetra
10x- Nerite Snails

Possibly:
2x Blue Ram
2x Bristlenose Pleco

Thoughts?

As far as plants... I have an interesting idea. I'd like to have a melon sword on one side, an amazon sword on the other. In the middle, I want a 'forest' of Ludwigia repens. I almost want it to cut the tank in two. On each side of the ludwigia, I want some baby tears, a piece of driftwood with java fern and anubias. Some ambulia in the back. water sprite on each side in the back corners. In the middle of each half, I want some glosso.

Sounds weird huh?

My honest opinion? Sounds too symmetrical. I would advise more of a triangular type composition, or at least more complicated than symmetrical. You won't find many of the "amazing" type planted thanks out there that use symmetrical layouts. Just my two cents.

After thinking about it, it wont work that way anyways. Two swords on one side (towards the middle of that half of the tank), a 'forest' of ludwigia on the other?

Back
Top Bottom