12L Tank (3.84G) - What fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The sea monkeys Rock

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, in the middle of Fishless cycle. Bought a small tank so I can learn about the chemistry of the aquarium. Was thinking of getting two danios in a few weeks time once my tank has completely cycled. Using API master and digital PH meter to monitor water. Tank is well planted. Cycling is taking ages, 5 weeks so far. Ammonia going to nitrite and nitrate too but ammonia and nitrate never seem to reach zero, ammonia gets weaker, nitrite stronger then it just stalls. I am being patient and have added more bio rings plus packed more filter wool in to encourage bacteria.

Flow is good, tank cycling ten times an hour aprox, air pump in place with air line so plenty of oxygen for bacteria. PH high due to water hardness and crap tap water. Not ideal for bacteria. Was 8.1, now 7.8 after intro of plants.

Temp was 30C purely for bacteria. Now I have plants I've reduced to 26C. Will adjust temp according to fish choice.

My filter media contains :
-sponge / wool stuff
-bio balls
-bio rings
-activated carbon

Questions I really had were:
-Tips for cycling, can't seed it not an option as I do t know anyone with a tank!
-Is the activated carbon a problem? Read it can slow down cycling process
-Tips for stocking based on tank size?

Many thanks

This is a pretty small tank. A couple of danios will have you pretty well maxed out I think. But, you could put shrimp in there-especially if planted. Shrimp are shockingly enjoyable to watch.

Bettas are nice looking fish. And, while this shouldn't serve as an excuse for poor maintenance, they are pretty forgiving of mistakes with their water. I believe they are labarynth fish which means that if necessary, they can somehow actually breath air from the surface.

Skip the danios -- they do best in groups and are very active. Ideally they should be in like a 20 gal long. Your little nano tank would be perfect for shrimp or a betta, but really not much else.

Thanks All

Brilliant replies thank you all. Based on that I will skip the danios and will look into betta and shrimp. I want to upgrade my tank to a decent size soon anyway. I realise 3Gal is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom