135 Build up Have some questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indigobluetc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I kinda fell in to a 135 g tank the other day and could not pass up the offer. SO its been a few days and now its in its final spot and all hooked up plumbing wise and all, and I have some quick questions. I have been reading on the difference about a fish only and FOWLR tank. SO here is my question I have a 75 g FOWLR thats about a year old or so and I need a bigger tank. Well all of the fish and about 70 lbs of live rock are going in to the 135. Now with a fish only I read you can use fake rock. SO I was wandering if you could mix live rock and say... petrified wood? I have a crap load that came with this 135 and its just taking up space so would that be a good idea? Yes? No? Need some help here!

I dont know much about how the petrified wood would affect the tank... thats a question for much more knowledgeable personals. But if not you could always use base rock which is rather cheap, and over time it will be seeded by your current live rock.

I don't think the petrified wood would give you a lot of space for your beneficial bacteria to grow. You want lots of nooks and crannies. Petrified wood is full of calcium and may contain other heavy metal that could not be good for your tank. Have you used any meds on the petrified wood?
If it were me, I would take blazeyreef's suggestion to mix a lot of base or lace rock with your LR.

You know maybe its me or maybe im not looking for the right thing but how much is base rock usually? And do most stores just call it base rock? I cant seem to find it anywhere, then again like I said it might be me. Man its been a long week and lots of cash on this tank. But it will look soooo nice when done! Thats what keeps me going lol and not staying with my 80

LR is your best bio filter.Converting ammonia and nitrate in harmless nitrogen and perfect home for all your pods.
You can get base rock really cheap and it will become live.

Base Rock or these, or the Marco rocks site that Scott posted. I would not use the petrified wood in a SW tank. Do you know what meds might have been used in the 135 before you got it?

Back
Top Bottom