135 gal. Updated 09-17-07, not dialup friendly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got it,. 135 gal tank. Currently I am running all 3 filters on other tanks to get a jump start on the cycle. My plan is to add the sand from 3 smaller tanks I will be combining. That in addition to the 3 filters running on other tanks should be enough to get the cycle rolling enough for me to slowly add the fish from the other tanks. I've decided to make this one a large community tank. I also plan on taking the some of the media from the XF5 and putting it on the bottom of the substrate in the new tank.

Tried something different with the background. Before painting it black, I sprayed a gold marble paint first. So I have a black with gold marble background. Hopefully I like it. :roll: :lol:

This weekend it will be placed into place, first am painting the wall behind it and adding some supports to the joists in the basement to be safe. Then I will fill it and add the PFS. Eggcrate already in the tank. I'll fill it and run the heaters to get the temp stabilized. Then by next weekend the sand will have settled and the filters will have bacteria established and it will be moving day. I will post pics as I go along. I suspect I will make this a planted tank as I progress.

The tank, sorry about the angle, it's in the middle of the living room till the wall gets painted. :)
1003369.jpg

The background
1003367.jpg

The stand
1003368.jpg

I think the background is really nice too. It will look great with plants and fish.

The eggcrate is in the tank - not under it? Will it form a base for rocks?

Painting - I'm doing some of that myself!

Thanks all. Yes the eggcrate is in the tank. If I decide to put large rocks in the tank it provides a safe base for them. If I don't decide to put rocks in there it still works well for plants. :)

I think I was getting confused about the eggcrate :oops: I have heard of it forming a base for rock but I think I was thinking of styrofoam for under the tank.

Tommorow is set up day. Have decided the stocking from the other tanks. I am going to run 2 cycled filters on the tank and one new on while running the other new filters on other already cycled tanks. Most of my tanks have at least 2 filters so no worries of mini cycles on exsisting tanks.

First I have to paint the wall behind the tank, and then set up and fill the tank. Get the filters on, and susbrate in. Then comes the fun of catching fish from 5 other tanks and setting them all up in their new tank arrangements. It should take most of the day with painting etc. I will post pics as I set up.

Silver angelfish, bala shark, red tailed albino shark, 9 rainbowfish, 2 synodontis, 3 yoyo's, and 3 swordtails for now to keep the cycle stable. The tank is large so I didn't want to only put a couple of fish in. That wouldn't have been enough to keep the cycle going. With 2 cycled filters and 50 lbs of cycled sand going in the tank, I should be good to go. Of course I will be testing to be safe but I am sure I will be fine.

LOL several ideas but none specifically firm yet. October brings our bi-annual aquarium society auction. There will be some unique fish there that I will be hopefully able to get. I do however want to get my bala some more friends, now that I have a tank that will be big enough for them to swim around it. The bala is currently about 5-6" so any friends will be way smaller but I'm sure he won't care.

Well what a day! I am actually sore as well as tired from moving 7 tanks and setting one up! LOL. It's sparsly decorated so far. Going to be adding more plants soon.

The wall before the tank went in.
1003374.jpg

The tank rather blurry due to all the new water and sand blowing around.
1003377.jpg

The inhabitants.
1003378.jpg

1003380.jpg

The fish are racing back and forth side to side of the tank. They are going to tire themselves out LOL.
I'm happy to say that after being set up for several hours, nitrate is 5ppm, ammonia and nitrite 0ppm.

Full tank shot now that things have settled.
1003382.jpg

Lengthwise through the tank.
1003390.jpg

Siver angelfish, a bit blurry, he's swimming around like mad. :)
1003386.jpg

General pics.
1003388.jpg

1003385.jpg

With flash to show off background.
1003387.jpg

ROFL, the bala has been going back and forth more than anyone. I think he thinks he has been dropped in a lake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom