15 dead. What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much guys. I added the crushed coral over my sand but not very thick at all, this is the best looking stuff I've ever had in one of my aquariums and now I want it in all of them. The lime stone blocks are pretty awesome looking too. You guys want to see some pictures? I think i still have a photobucket account let me see.

I don't have any right before everyone died with the chert rocks and quartz but it wasn't my favorite way it ever looked. First ones are from a few months ago with the slate (flagstone).

img_2838102_0_8e3865cb39abddbb14e8b598306f38e4.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/PatienceGuild/Fish stuff/IMG_0120_zpsaf94a224.jpg

This one is from right after the great Satan brought along Armageddon and destroyed my poor bastard fish. I took out the quartz rock and did a giant water change.

img_2838102_1_da5a9dce41d94b5ba93ce311ae57c944.jpg

House plants in the sump. Big light.
img_2838102_2_6db99a2dd4cb01a1e6067329a8ad1098.jpg

top tank
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/PatienceGuild/Fish stuff/IMG_0203_zps160dd5d7.jpg

How it looks now.
img_2838102_3_e9099c75d1d9b0a415f6bccb0f5a5151.jpg

I know I've got to wait a few days for this thing to adjust and stabilize. How would I go about adding this crushed coral to my existing tanks, particularly my 75 gallon?

Nice!

I seen people add to filter matrix for quicker results. I've got some crushed shells and cuttlebone in tank but a little untidy.

I am going to get some media bags tomorrow, i couldnt get any today. I did however put some in the sump loose. I really like the look of it though. If i wanted to add it to the rest of my tanks should i just add a couple of handfuls ever few days until i have it how i want it? I dont want an hp spike or anything.

Um, I'm not sure here - it seems to do bugger all having shells, etc in my tank (about 5 handfuls I'd say) but a tablet or two of buffer has a noticeable difference.

Yeah I already have a lot of carbuncle shells in my 75 gallon cichlid tank and just want to put the rest left in this bucket i rinsed in there. Maybe two pounds. From what ive been reading it wont do much but I just wanted some opinions before i do it. Love the way this stuff looks and would like to have it. Let me scrape some algae tomorrow and ill get a picture of that tank too, its my favorite.

I used some powdered Cuttlebone for my tank when I had a pH crash. About 3 tablespoons shook into a jar of treated tank water, after a water change for 72G tank. It was enough to stop the crashing. Then after monitoring the KH/GH did add a little more, maybe a tablespoon or two over the week after to get a good level. After that it all settled down.

It was unnerving. Sorry for your losses. Welcome to AA.

One of my 75 gallon tanks. Its a bit over crowded but I do a lot of water changes, there are also some guys in here you wouldn't normally put together but I pay close attention to attitudes and when someone gets overly rowdy they get removed. I know no ones gonna believe that that big Johanni is mild mannered but he is.

This is the tank i want to put the rest of this crushed coral in.

img_2838522_0_95caaaf9de0851c1bbc48d0900107682.jpg

A lot of my fish come from people who buy cichlids and don't know they are not good tank mates for say an angel fish or a school of blood fin tetras, they want rid of them and I take them instead of watching them go in the toilet.
I currently have a really big nice maingano I got from a guy that had him in a 100 gallon with some peacocks, he was beating the crap out of the larger fish and ruling the tank.
Hes the meanest fish i have right now, since im keeping him by himself i guess i need to find him some females.

I see them! I love your tanks by the way.
You can just put it directly in if you like it that way!

So now that I've added the lime stone and crushed coral the PH is up this morning to 7.2. I am not sure if thats a good or bad thing because I am sure it will continue to go up over the next few days. How long would you guys think it should take to level out?

You mentioned your tap sits around 8, right? I expect your ph will eventually stabilize in tap's range (@8-8.2) depending on how much buffer your adding. I would do a decent wc daily on this tank to help things stabilize as well. Your other tanks are stable in this range, so even with the additional buffer added, I wouldn't expect to see a big change so do not be overly concerned with using the coral/limestone in other tanks. :)

well my ph is holding steady but the water is very cloudy now. what might be the cause?

Did you rinse the buffer well before adding it? It's likely just some residual particles from it and they will settle in time. Adding some filter floss (polyfill) will help to clear the water, too. Water changes will help but initially they may seem to make things worse as they will disturb any particles that may have settled. Don't worry too much! :)

Back
Top Bottom