15 gallon freshwater as unique as saltwater? Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Studentdrleo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Growing up, I had a 60 gallon saltwater in which I was able to keep a seahorse amongst other fish. I currently just purchased an Aqueon 15g tank. It's a column tank. I don't have the money for a saltwater right now, so I'd thought giving fresh a shot, but I have no idea on fish compatibility of freshwater. With all this in mind, I was wondering if there are any fish that could fit these desires of wanting to have fish similar in beauty to a saltwater tank (such as the richness in color or uniqueness in shape), but be able to fit in such a tank. I've looked at pipefish, pencil fish, and smaller loaches. But again, don't know what is possible. Thank you for your help!

Do you have a picture of the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's 15x15x24. It you type in aqueon 15, it should pop up. I'm not sure of how to post a pic from my phone. I was thinking of upgrading the filter or getting a protein skimmer to improve the conditions. And not feeling the killifish...

Clown killis are pretty cool. There are a lot of nice looking killis out there - not sure which you looked at.

There are also some really cool shrimp out there, as well as CPOs (dwarf crayfish). Those are certainly colorful and similar to their saltwater counterparts. They would really make use of the height of the tank if you built it up in the middle, similar to how you would set up a reef tank. Then you could do some sparkling gouramis to swim around it, as well as a school of small fish like maybe ember tetras or chili rasboras. I think you could make a really nice looking fresh water "reef" tank.

A 15 gallon is quite small, maybe look up some gourami species and see what you like! I like the chuna variety... Let's see what else you can fit in, maybe an aphyosemion gardneri, a type of killifish. A betta would be an excellent choice for a 15 and come in many colours. This is what comes to mind for a 15, hope this helped

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Hatchetfish are cool looking but prefer a greater surface area. Peacock gudgeons or some smaller rainbowfish like Gertrudae or furcatas would look neat.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hatchetfish will only occupy the top of the aquarium. So you need like mid-bottomdwellers as well :)

Aphysemion Australe.

Orange lyre tail killifish.

The most brightly colored aquarium fish ive seen without going to cichlids. They are also the longest lived killis we can get and are easy breeders.

I've had australe as well as gardneri. Their lifespan is equal. I much prefer the gardneri species tho (it has been renamed but don't know to what), just look at it:

Australe:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417962077.727625.jpg

Gardneri:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417962098.881509.jpg

They are both equally beautifull. I must add the fact that australe is more docile and compatible with other species.
Gardneri can be very aggressive, I've had these for two days in a tank with pseudomugil furcata and all their tailfins were nipped off. I had to give the gardneri a separate 10 gallon :)

I line the Gardneri as well, but they get pretty big if I'm not mistaken. A bit too large for a 15g.

Most owners would indeed suggest 20+ gallon. But i think they aren't very active swimmers, so I keep one in a ten-gal.
I think a species-only tank is best for these guys, so I would indeed suggest a 20+ gal for 2-3 of them.

Oh wow, the gardneri is awesome. What about the American flag fish? Anyone have thoughts on that fish?

Don't have any experience, only know that they are lively fish. 15g is bare minimum I think :)

I would consider a pair of Apistogramma; awesome color and can't go wrong with them. There's so many to choose from.

I've looked into pipefish; your only downfall is that they like the switch of freshwater to brackish and can survive in full marine conditions for a period of time. Really need live food and fed three+ times a day. They are neat though! If I didn't work 40hrs a week that's would I would get

Ya, I've realized I don't have the time for pipefish. And thanks for everyone's suggestions. I like the different types of fish. With all of this in mind, I need an estimate of how many fish I can put in this thing. Saltwater always played it safe and didn't have too much. Thanks again everyone!

I would do dwarf rainbows with laser corries. The laser corries are bright green with orange or yellow stripes. Cherry barbs get a red that rivals any saltwater fish. Gold mollies are very yellow. I know they are common but have you seen the colors on male guppies? Obviously you cant do all of these but they are just some suggestions to pick and choose from.

I switched from SW years ago and never looked back the colors are still there.

Back
Top Bottom