150gl new reef set up Substrate to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpope30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all and thanks in advance for the advice.

I have just set up a 150gl tank on 9.14.01. As of today I have filled it and added my salt, no substrate or base yet. I am running a new Fluval FX5 for filtration and my lights are crap( will be going with MH).

I am going for a Full Reef Tank with Fish, Soft Corals, Live Rock and no anenomies(sp?).

I am not in a huge hurry to cycle but I do want the correct sand to begin with. I am leaning toward Ocean Direct Carribean Live Sand but have read that maybe that is not the way to go?

Also with this size of tank, should I go with dead base rock or low end live rock for base? I will be hand picking my LR that will be visable.

Well hopefully I have given you enough info to help.

Thanks again and safe reefing,
Jeremy:p

Welcome to the site!
I would skip the so called "live" sand and buy the dry aragonite sand.
You can mix about 75% of base rock and seed it with about 25% LR (it will save you money).
Shoot for about 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon of water.
When you cycle the tank use 1 raw unseasoned jumbo shrimp per 30G for an ammonia source.

Thanks for the info Roka. When you say unseasoned are you talking about the kind I would buy at my local groc. store to eat? If so do I just put it in the tank as is?

Should I put in the base rock in as well at that time for the cycle?

Yep, at the grocery store. You can put it in a mesh bag or pantyhose. It will definitely get mushy. I just left mine in for my clean up crew.
You can cycle the base rock with your tank. I just dump it all in at the same time. That way there is no chance for a mini-cycle when you add more LR.
Do you have the liquid test kits?
I would aslo suggest ordering your sand from drsfosterandsmith.com, as they don't charge extra for weight (but double check that before you do....since gas prices are up).

I'll try it. Any other help or suggestions are always welcome and appriciated.

LOL! You can peruse the articles section under my sig. Lots of great and easy to read stuff.
I like the appreciated in bold...nice touch!

Last edited:
Welcome to AA!!!

What are the dimensions of your 150?

My suggestions: I echo what Roka has already mentioned to you. The article section is a great place to start!

With this size tank and shooting for a full reef you are going to need a lot more flow in your tank. The Canister filter you have will work for getting you through your cycle and would be ok if you were going FO or FOWLR. Canister filters just don't cut it with reef tanks. The best filtration method is natural. 1.5-2lbs of LR as Roka mentioned along with a nice large sump, a good skimmer and a refugium. With a reef tank you are going to want at least 20-30x turn over in the display. When you get to the point the lighting will become another point of upgrade though as you said you already know this.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks Ziggy.

Dimensions are 72 x 18x 28

Well a little dishearted about the FX5. I just bought it new and filled it with media, so I will try it untill I need to switch. I am planning on a large skimmer and 4 more power heads(for flow). I was hoping the FX5 would be good.

I did go with the live sand...I know, I know you told me not to. I just couldn't resist. I went with 160lbs of Oolite. I also put in 4 small Chronis and 1 Molly to help get things rolling.

I am still on the fence about lighting. I am leaning towards T5 HO with LED in a 72" Low Profile. I don't think I am going to spend the money on a canopy(I like the look of one better).

Jeremy

PS. I will start a new Thread with a current pic and keep updating my progress.

Ouch....fishless cycle is far better and more humane. Check out the article section on this site for more information.

I just read the article and hope all goes well with my fish. Roka has mentioned, in this thread, the raw shrimp as well. I went with the live sand so I could cycle with live fish with less chance of death. In my prior reef, a 55gl, I cycled with Damsels and none passed away. I guess I didn't think about what they went through even tho life wasn't lost. I wouldn't want to go through a life threatening illness even if someone guarenteed me to make it.

Point taken,
Jeremy
Thanks for the article post.

I will post a new Thread later with pics of tank now and update it as I progress.

Back
Top Bottom