155 gallon bow-front tank Salt Water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
So tomorrow i am purchasing a 155 gallon saltwater tank from a guy on craigslist. It comes with 200 pounds of live rock,30 gallon sump,protein skimmer, UV filters,heaters,power heads,lights,Single Clown fish,oak stand,salt,test kits,and some water treatment stuff and i am getting ALL OF IT FOR 50$ its a awesome find!!! So excited but i have never had a saltwater tank before and i need help. My uncle is going to teach me a few things he is an experienced aquarist but what fish/inverts/corals should i stock my tank with ? Im a noob at saltwater but i have had many freshwater tanks so am not new to the hobby just this side of the hobby:)
Any help would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

...and I thought I had a steal at $200 for my 75g...

You're flat-out guilty of the Great Train Robbery!

I am SO jealous! Congrats on your awesome find!

$50???????

The jelly train is leaving the station...

Amazing steal there.

I wouldn't bother with corals yet. Tank needs to stabilize first really

Caleb

Yeah awesome deal! Guy just doesn't want it but i am keeping the old water of his tank so i can start it right back up again but i can't wait to see it all set up

Yeah awesome deal! Guy just doesn't want it but i am keeping the old water of his tank so i can start it right back up again but i can't wait to see it all set up

Old water is just adding nitrates. I'd test the salinity of the old water and match it when you make the new water.

Caleb

Ok thanks for the tip

is the water circulating or stagnant that's the big question
as long as the water is circulating not standing still the rock will remain live
either way keep it wet in transport you may get lucky with a fast cycle
I would have a 5g bucket with clean saltwater to rinse each rock as you add it to the tank
what ever you do do not use the old sand that would cause you the biggest headache you could imagine
I would suggest going through the same steps as starting from scratch to be sure you see a good cycle it could be short or it can take a few weeks either way go slow and be patient
if the rock has lots of algae growth remove a good majority of it .than give it a fresh water dip than sw dip before adding to tank
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom