15g First planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunder-head

Aquarium Advice Regular
My first attempt at a planted tank :). (The goldfish eat any plants I put with them - I don't mind giving them a treat, but they ruin the aquascaping!)

img_1372394_0_e18f6b1f95e32e1dfaad3bf2b4ba1956.jpg

Currently got 5 baby mollies in it, am going to add:

2 African dwarf frogs
2 amano shrimp
2 cherry shrimp
1 zebra snail

Also wanted to add some more fish (aqadvisor.com says I would have a bit more space); am trying to pick from the following:

Red Scarlet Badis (maybe too small?)
Galaxy Rasbora - at least 6 (apparently they are quite rare in the wild now though)
White cloud minnow - at least 5 (maybe require too low a temp range to be compatible)
Zebra Danio - at least 5 (move too quickly - might upset frogs?)
Serpae tera - at least 5
Honey Dwarf Gourami
Pearl Gourami (too big?)
Sparkling Gourami (heard may eat snails?!)

Would only get one type of Gourami as they might fight.
Any opinions? Cheers!

I wouldn't do the white clouds.

I'd pick maybe 2 groups of small schoolers at most. CPDs(galaxy rasbora) and some harlequins or chilis would work, with a honey or dwarf gourami as a centerpiece.

White clouds and zebras are a bit big for that size tank.

I'm not sure about the scarlet badis, I've not kept any.

I like the idea of a honey gourami and a group of ember tetras. Very pretty tank.

Cheers :D Those ember tetras are v cool!

The tank is all set up, and I use the master test kit (used to use the strips but they weren't accurate) and Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all 0. Am waiting a bit to before getting anything else as want to make sure the molly babies are big enough so that they don't get munched by the ADFs!

dunder-head said:
Cheers :D Those ember tetras are v cool!

The tank is all set up, and I use the master test kit (used to use the strips but they weren't accurate) and Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all 0. Am waiting a bit to before getting anything else as want to make sure the molly babies are big enough so that they don't get munched by the ADFs!

Nitrate 0 !?!?! What u always have nitrate!

dunder-head said:
Lol no worries, that's just the level the colour card says - that colour means anything from 0ppm to 4.9ppm

Ok then! LOL!

I say 5 Neon Tetras and 5 serpae tetras will look good.

I think its beautiful. But while the mollies are babies now, I don't think you'll have much room once they are adults. In a 15 gal tank. So you'll already have your school, your bottom feeders and if I were you I'd get a DG as a centerpiece fish. I personally LOVE the powder blues! Had one once then was stupid and added fish to the tank without QT first and wiped out my whole tank (stupid, stupid!!).

I think its beautiful. But while the mollies are babies now, I don't think you'll have much room once they are adults. In a 15 gal tank. So you'll already have your school, your bottom feeders and if I were you I'd get a DG as a centerpiece fish. I personally LOVE the powder blues! Had one once then was stupid and added fish to the tank without QT first and wiped out my whole tank (stupid, stupid!!).

Thank you :D I think the Blues are amazing, though I have heard they can grow up to 5 inches, and eat the cherry shrimp :s Sorry about your tank! Very unfortunate :(

I would stick to 1 school and 1 centerpiece type fish. For example: 8-9 Celestial Pearl Danios (used to be Galaxy Rasboras) and 1 Honey Gourami....or 8 Ember Tetras and a Honey Gourami. Any of the Gouramis may eat the shrimp.

The powder blue was a dwarf gourami (like a honey gourami). I didn't have shrimp in that tank though so I don't know if it would have eaten it or not.

Justonemore (love the name! So true isn't it? MTS - multiple tank syndrome!) - wouldn't you consider the mollies basically a school? I've personally never had them so I'm not speaking from experience, but I thought they got rather large? Do you really think OP should put another school in there?

BeavisMom62 said:
The powder blue was a dwarf gourami (like a honey gourami).

Justonemore (love the name! So true isn't it? MTS - multiple tank syndrome!) - wouldn't you consider the mollies basically a school? I've personally never had them so I'm not speaking from experience, but I thought they got rather large?

Ah okay, the blue i saw for sale wasnt a dwarf - will have to try and find one! Apparently the mollies aren't supposed to school, but they do develop an interesting heirachy. Though our babies are schooling at the minute (its really cute :D) - perhaps they wont when they are all grown. Our adult molly is about 1.2 inches at the moment, but we've only had her for just over 3 months.

Very pretty. I would caution against the CPD (galaxy rasboras) unless you wanna try and breed them. They are getting over fished! Those ember tetras with a honey gourami would be beautiful. I do have a question though. What plant is in the back left? With the lighter leaves. It doesn't look true aquatic...I could be wrong though.

Many of the CPD's in the hobby are home bred, they are very prolific. If you do go with them just find a hobbyist.

I've heard conflicting data about their wild population, so I can't say for sure. I'm sure there is some sort of impact since they are a desirable fish, but I don't know what the extent is or the entire reasoning behind it is. Unfortunately this happens with lots of the desirable aquaria species, especially those with a very limited range.

Cheers! I have asked the place Im getting the others from if they breed the cpd s themselves - if they do i might get them, if not then prob wont.

Im afraid i dont know what the plant at the back is, the shop i got the plants from just had it down as 'aquatic plant' sorry!

Back
Top Bottom