15g long switch from fw to sw questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I have my tank set up, sand in, salt mixed and added to the tank, AC 70 up and running, circ pump installed, and those glorious ATI bulbs in my fixture. Refractometer indicates 1.025 salinity. I'm heading to my not so local fs tomorrow for lr. Would someone please suggest a really good test kit? I'm so dang new to sw and the info out there is overwhelming. I do plan to keep corals so I'm thinking I'll need 2 kits?

If you already have the freshwater master test kit, the reagents are the same, just need to google or email api for the saltwater color chart. You'll still have to eventually get the phosphate, alkalinity, etc...

If you already have the freshwater master test kit, the reagents are the same, just need to google or email api for the saltwater color chart. You'll still have to eventually get the phosphate, alkalinity, etc...

Thanks. I do have the fw master test kit as well as phosphate, but don't I need additional test kits for corals? Calcium, etc? The API reef master kit?

Thanks. I do have the fw master test kit as well as phosphate, but don't I need additional test kits for corals? Calcium, etc? The API reef master kit?

Yeah, you will need all those tests eventually, just saying, don't buy the one with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph cuz you technically already have all those. You can always get calcium separate, along with kH, you already have phosphate so you should be good for now. A few others you may need down the road are magnesium, and iodine, if you decide to dose it.

Edit: for the most part, I just check nitrate an phosphate. I'll test all the other levels once a month to make sure.

Last edited:
Picked up my lr today (jumping up and down on the inside). I have a dual t5ho fixture with one ATI Aquablue special and one ATI blue plus bulbs. The color isn't showing in the pick. The water hasn't cleared yet, and I have the sponge, carbon and a little filter floss in the media basket. Anything else I can use to clear the water? It's been cloudy since yesterday.
edit: it doesn't look that blue in person.

Attachments

• image-120330632.jpg
    image-120330632.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 106
I switched the bulbs and this is a little better.

Attachments

• image-3133454633.jpg
    image-3133454633.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 115
I switched the bulbs and this is a little better.

Nice job Reygan! Looks great!! I love the look of that rock and the way you've scaped it which kinda looks like a couple of mountain peaks, yet still having a few holes and crevices for the fish. Still looks quite blue in there, but it's still a nice effect. Look forward to hearing more updates on your exciting new sw build :)

Looking awesome! My tank always looks a lot more blue in pictures than it actually is.

Looking awesome! My tank always looks a lot more blue in pictures than it actually is.

Thanks! I plan to get a few more purple pieces and to scatter that color around more and I'm gonna add something to the big rock on the left.

Ok, added more rock. I'm not sure about this arrangement. Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe this?

Attachments

• image-3789027460.jpg
    image-3789027460.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1617315753.jpg
    image-1617315753.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-526384373.jpg
    image-526384373.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 85
I think it looks good. You added some depth to the tank by having a few pieces closer to the front. Nice job! Ultimately, it really is your choice as to what you like.

Is your rock sitting on top of the sand, or did you place your rock and then add sand after? I only ask because if its sitting on top, you can develop dead spots in the sand, which could lead to problems later. Also, should you get a fish or two that like to burrow, rocks that are sitting on top could give way and fall.

Just figured I'd jump in now before you start putting corals in. :)

P.S. welcome to the salty side! :)

I think it looks good. You added some depth to the tank by having a few pieces closer to the front. Nice job! Ultimately, it really is your choice as to what you like.

Is your rock sitting on top of the sand, or did you place your rock and then add sand after? I only ask because if its sitting on top, you can develop dead spots in the sand, which could lead to problems later. Also, should you get a fish or two that like to burrow, rocks that are sitting on top could give way and fall.

Just figured I'd jump in now before you start putting corals in. :)

P.S. welcome to the salty side! :)

Thanks. I've actually moved it around again to add some height to the middle. Most of the rock is sitting on top of the sand, but there is a lot of room for adequate flow. The largest pieces on either side are on the glass. What sort of problems should I anticipate? With such a small tank, what sort of burrowing fish would be suitable?

Thanks. I've actually moved it around again to add some height to the middle. Most of the rock is sitting on top of the sand, but there is a lot of room for adequate flow. The largest pieces on either side are on the glass. What sort of problems should I anticipate? With such a small tank, what sort of burrowing fish would be suitable?

Dead spots in sand can lead to a build up of detritus within that area of sand. This could lead to bigger problems like hydrogen sulfide which is no bueno. You could just push the rocks down into the sand until they hit bottom as a quick fix.

As far as burrowing fish, take a look at some of these:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+31

Several varieties will be great in a 15g!

its been with my experience that ive noticed keeping the live rock away from the glass helps immensely with flow. not only can you then run a magfloat over every inch of your glass, but it allows water to flow past the rocks, between the glass and rock. also try to get some of your rock up off the sand bed. use pieces to create arches and shelves. (not just from side to side, but front to back as well) tanks already coming together very nicely and will look amazing once its got coral and livestock in it

its been with my experience that ive noticed keeping the live rock away from the glass helps immensely with flow. not only can you then run a magfloat over every inch of your glass, but it allows water to flow past the rocks, between the glass and rock. also try to get some of your rock up off the sand bed. use pieces to create arches and shelves. (not just from side to side, but front to back as well) tanks already coming together very nicely and will look amazing once its got coral and livestock in it

Thanks! A couple of the rocks are a little close to the back but none are touching the glass. It's hard to tell from the pic but I do have lots of open spaces between the rocks. I rearranged to get more height in the middle and I think I like this better. I have some pure ammonia that I used to cycle my fw tanks. Should I dose this tank to start my cycle or am I already considered cycled since I've added nearly 18lbs of matured LR?

Attachments

• image-3557566774.jpg
    image-3557566774.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 86
Looks great! Well done! :D

Thanks! This is so much fun, yet can be so intimidating too. About testing, are the number of drops the same with each test? I now know that the sw ph test requires 5 drops instead of 3, so I was wondering if that only applies to ph.

Thanks! This is so much fun, yet can be so intimidating too. About testing, are the number of drops the same with each test? I now know that the sw ph test requires 5 drops instead of 3, so I was wondering if that only applies to ph.

Just google the instructions for which ever test you're doing and you should be able to find it. I think api has them all on their website somewhere.

EDIT: high range ph is 5 drops, low range is 3 drops. Both would be the same for fresh or salt. Knew I was right... :lol:

Last edited:
I would really appreciate any opinions here. I was just told from a reliable source that the pfs I used is going to likely give me a significant algae issue due to silicants. Of course I don't want to have to change it, but if another sand is more suitable and will make that much of a difference, I will. Any others with experience with this?

Back
Top Bottom