16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just read that feather dusters sometimes disconnect the heads and grow again? Says it could take 10-14 days to grow back... guess I'll wait and see

DanS180 said:
Just read that feather dusters sometimes disconnect the heads and grow again? Says it could take 10-14 days to grow back... guess I'll wait and see

I was thinking I had read that as well. It something ticked it off it may have decided to move. He was probably all "this neighborhood stinks. I'm movin!"

DanS180 said:

My hawaiin dropped its crown shortly after purchasing it and regrew a new crown in about 10 days and is doing great now. They will move over time to find the best spot so leaving them be is best.

Lol "this place is hell, I'm packing up and getting the hell out" haha well I hope that's what mine is doing... I'm just gonna leave it be for the time being and hopefully I see another crown soon.. just weird bc my Halloween crab was definitely standing on top of the old crown so I figured it had gotten murdered lol

Mrc8858 said:
My hawaiin dropped its crown shortly after purchasing it and regrew a new crown in about 10 days and is doing great now. They will move over time to find the best spot so leaving them be is best.

When yours dropped its crown, was it just the crown or was it the crown and part of the body??

It was just the crown. Do you mean it had part of the tube to or did the actual worm get removed from the tube?

Mrc8858 said:
It was just the crown. Do you mean it had part of the tube to or did the actual worm get removed from the tube?

The worm was completely out of the tube

Okay so I finally cleaned off my glass after my snails took care of most of the diatoms. While cleaning I noticed there's a film on top of my water, kinda looks brownish I guess depending on how u look at it..

Shouldn't my skimmer be helping with this?? Or what's going on?

DanS180 said:
Okay so I finally cleaned off my glass after my snails took care of most of the diatoms. While cleaning I noticed there's a film on top of my water, kinda looks brownish I guess depending on how u look at it..

Shouldn't my skimmer be helping with this?? Or what's going on?

The skimmer can only remove what gets pulled into the intake. In big systems the overflow carries any surface scum down into the sump where the skimmer and filter socks remove it. In smaller sumpless tanks you will periodically need to turn the powerheads towards the surface. If you can get the film to dissolve back into the water the skimmer will remove it easily.

Remember, the dissolved organics that a skimmer removes are specific. They have two parts to the protiens: one side wants to attach to water and the other wants to attach to air. This is why tanks develop that film. The way a skimmer works is by making an inclosed space that has a ton of air and water surfaces for these proteins to attach to (the bubbles). They are then forced into a collection cup. The proteins need to get sucked up into the skimmer. The ones that find their way to the surface of the water stay there unless you can agitate them back into the water and into the skimmer.

I hope that made sense. lol

CorallineAlgae said:
The skimmer can only remove what gets pulled into the intake. In big systems the overflow carries any surface scum down into the sump where the skimmer and filter socks remove it. In smaller sumpless tanks you will periodically need to turn the powerheads towards the surface. If you can get the film to dissolve back into the water the skimmer will remove it easily.

Remember, the dissolved organics that a skimmer removes are specific. They have two parts to the protiens: one side wants to attach to water and the other wants to attach to air. This is why tanks develop that film. The way a skimmer works is by making an inclosed space that has a ton of air and water surfaces for these proteins to attach to (the bubbles). They are then forced into a collection cup. The proteins need to get sucked up into the skimmer. The ones that find their way to the surface of the water stay there unless you can agitate them back into the water and into the skimmer.

I hope that made sense. lol

Your information is always so helpful :) so by getting another powerhead and have it directed towards the surface should take care of this problem right??

DanS180 said:
Your information is always so helpful :) so by getting another powerhead and have it directed towards the surface should take care of this problem right??

It'll definitely help it. In the meantime you could try turning the powerhead you already have at the surface during the night to start clearing it up. It'll give the tank lots of aeration, too.

CorallineAlgae said:
It'll definitely help it. In the meantime you could try turning the powerhead you already have at the surface during the night to start clearing it up. It'll give the tank lots of aeration, too.

Well I think I'm goin to go out n buy another powerhead on Thursday when I get paid :)

DanS180 said:
Well I think I'm goin to go out n buy another powerhead on Thursday when I get paid :)

You can buy me one too! And I also would like some moonlights. Get on it! :). Heehee!

What power head are you looking at getting?

Bearchumjs said:
You can buy me one too! And I also would like some moonlights. Get on it! :). Heehee!

What power head are you looking at getting?

Haha! I'm prob just gonna get another 425 koralia since that's what I have already. I like em, they're quiet :)

So ive had the 1 powerhead pointed towards the surface for a few days now and while the surface is moving a lot now, the brownish tint isnt really going away just yet, do u think another powerhead will help?? I plan on getting another one tomorrow. And btw, How often do you clean out the skimmer bucket??

DanS180 said:
So ive had the 1 powerhead pointed towards the surface for a few days now and while the surface is moving a lot now, the brownish tint isnt really going away just yet, do u think another powerhead will help?? I plan on getting another one tomorrow. And btw, How often do you clean out the skimmer bucket??

It may take a while. Sure, another powerhead would be great! You could also manually trap some of it with the filter pad from the filter. Just rinse out the pad a little and drag it across the surface.

Just rinse out the collector cup and tube in the sink once a month. Don't scrub the tube. If you need to get off some stuck on debris just use vinegar or your finger. You never want to scratch the tube. Skimmer tubes always move waste into the cup best if they are smooth so scrubbing is a no no. lol

CorallineAlgae said:
It may take a while. Sure, another powerhead would be great! You could also manually trap some of it with the filter pad from the filter. Just rinse out the pad a little and drag it across the surface.

Just rinse out the collector cup and tube in the sink once a month. Don't scrub the tube. If you need to get off some stuck on debris just use vinegar or your finger. You never want to scratch the tube. Skimmer tubes always move waste into the cup best if they are smooth so scrubbing is a no no. lol

Well I'm def getting another powerhead tomorrow :) and good idea with the filter pad.. I actually have an old filter pad in there that's prob due to come out so I'll just rinse that one off n try it

Back
Top Bottom