16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feed every three days. I got rid of my giant banngai the other day so hopefully that will help. I also changed the store I getting water from so we will see. My levels all seem fine. It didn't come back in hours like before so hopefully what I have done will do the trick.

maybe ill feed every 3 days... how much do you feed when u do feed em? i have 2 clowns, a firefish, a clown goby and a blenny.

im supposed to get my RODI unit tomorrow from BRS so maybe thatll help too, rather than get the water from my LFS

DanS180 said:
maybe ill feed every 3 days... how much do you feed when u do feed em? i have 2 clowns, a firefish, a clown goby and a blenny.

im supposed to get my RODI unit tomorrow from BRS so maybe thatll help too, rather than get the water from my LFS

Usually ends up to about half a cube or 3/4 cube. Of mysis shrimp or formula one.

DanS180 said:
do u feed em all at once? or throughout the day?

All at once slowly. I use a turkey baster and most of the time the clowns eat it right out of the tip and then I shoot a chunk down for my snowflake eel to get

All at once slowly. I use a turkey baster and most of the time the clowns eat it right out of the tip and then I shoot a chunk down for my snowflake eel to get

ahh gotcha... okay well ill give that a try and see how it works out, thanks man

DanS180 said:
ahh gotcha... okay well ill give that a try and see how it works out, thanks man

Np problem. I know how you feel. In getting out of work in the morning after 34 straight and the lights have been off so I am hoping for a clean tank when I get there.

22engine said:
Np problem. I know how you feel. In getting out of work in the morning after 34 straight and the lights have been off so I am hoping for a clean tank when I get there.

Oh wow.. that's a long time haha I turned my lights back on to do some other cleaning but my lights will be out for the majority of tomorrow and maybe the following day

Its weird, I could have sworn when I woke up this morning and turned my lights on, the cyano on the sandbed in front was completely gone(after leaving the lights off for a day n a half) but when I got home from work today, It was there again... now I can't remember if I was dreaming or not lol

this just hit me.. but how big of a CUC should i have for a 29? right now i have, 1 conch, 3 hermits(red, blue and halloween) about 10 snails maybe? should i get more?? and anything thats best for cyano? i saw my blue legged hermit picking at it earlier today but not sure if he actually likes it lol

Reefs2Go recommends :
1 crab per gallon
1-2 snails per gallon

is that true?

Sadly nothing eats cyano, but having a larger CUC will help if your seeing most other algae. The real cure is controlling phosphate which often involves not using flake food, running GFO, careful removal, testing your RO for PO4 and plenty of water changes.

Your lights aren't old and you have strong flow. Already two things going for you. I still feel overpopulation is a factor. Maybe someone else could chime in.

CorallineAlgae said:
Sadly nothing eats cyano, but having a larger CUC will help if your seeing most other algae. The real cure is controlling phosphate which often involves not using flake food, running GFO, careful removal, testing your RO for PO4 and plenty of water changes.

Your lights aren't old and you have strong flow. Already two things going for you. I still feel overpopulation is a factor. Maybe someone else could chime in.

Well we already discussed the whole phosphate ordeal. I think I'm gonna try n siphon some the cyano out tomorrow and do a pwc.

Do u think I should add more CUC or am I okay with what I have?

DanS180 said:
Do u think I should add more CUC or am I okay with what I have?

I would add a few more. A variety of snails is always a good idea as long as you stay away from turbos. They just knock over corals every so often. Do you see any true algae besides the bacteria? If so maybe a couple of hermits would be helpful, if the rocks are clean then you're okay with the crabs you have.

CorallineAlgae said:
I would add a few more. A variety of snails is always a good idea as long as you stay away from turbos. They just knock over corals every so often. Do you see any true algae besides the bacteria? If so maybe a couple of hermits would be helpful, if the rocks are clean then you're okay with the crabs you have.

Rocks look okay but im starting to see what looks like balls of green hair algae forming??

DanS180 said:
Rocks look okay but im starting to see what looks like balls of green hair algae forming??

Then it's time to up the CUC including a few tiny hermits. Hair algae isn't abnormal. It's the main reason most people have all these snails, hermits and emerald crabs... cheato in a sump also helps a ton. You'll see that in your big tank.

Just be glad you're not fighting aptasia, flatworms or hydras! That fight sucks. If you can fit in either a pouch of purigen or a bit more phosphate remover it wouldn't hurt. Is your filter already packed?

CorallineAlgae said:
Then it's time to up the CUC including a few tiny hermits. Hair algae isn't abnormal. It's the main reason most people have all these snails, hermits and emerald crabs... cheato in a sump also helps a ton. You'll see that in your big tank.

Just be glad you're not fighting aptasia, flatworms or hydras! That fight sucks. If you can fit in either a pouch of purigen or a bit more phosphate remover it wouldn't hurt. Is your filter already packed?

No I have room for maybe 1 or 2 more packets of whatever possibly depending on size..

I just mixed up some water, I'm gonna do a water change and siphon out some cyano and the green algae in a little bit

Here's a few updated pics

ForumRunner_20121119_211819.jpg

ForumRunner_20121119_211933.jpg

ForumRunner_20121119_211945.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121119_211918.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121119_211918.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ForumRunner_20121119_211925.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121119_211925.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 64
Found this guy.. anyone know what it is? Kinda looks like a snail with no shell.

ForumRunner_20121123_203646.jpg

Please don't tell me what I think this is :( and if so what can I get to eat it??

ForumRunner_20121123_203651.jpg

DanS180 said:
Found this guy.. anyone know what it is? Kinda looks like a snail with no shell.

Please don't tell me what I think this is :( and if so what can I get to eat it??

The first looks like a flatworm and the second is either what you think it is or something close.

Back
Top Bottom