16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not that unusual. Sometimes they do that and other times they won't. Nothing at all to be concerned about unless they also loose color. That would mean they're expelling zooxanthellae. Was the food cold?

Nope.. it was room temp. They looked fine this morning but weren't fully opened so I'll see how they r after work

pH 8.1
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Phos 0ppm
Calc 440ppm
Mag 1300ppm
kH 9°
Salinity 1.027 the only blemish in my tank..

Think it was just his time? No marks on him or nothing so he wasn't attacked. :(

pH 8.1
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Phos 0ppm
Calc 440ppm
Mag 1300ppm
kH 9°
Salinity 1.027 the only blemish in my tank..

Think it was just his time? No marks on him or nothing so he wasn't attacked. :(

That sucks. Sometimes there is no explanation.y goby disappeared on me. Haven't seen him in weeks. Believe he died and the clean up crew got him.

That sucks. Sometimes there is no explanation.y goby disappeared on me. Haven't seen him in weeks. Believe he died and the clean up crew got him.

:( this sucks, I liked my firefish, although I rarely saw him lol guess I should be thankful he didn't die behind a rock and nuke my tank at least lol

Sometimes the collection methods can doom a fish before it leaves the area it was caught. Your water is fine. Even 1.027 isn't a problem at all. Some people keep their tanks at that level for the life of the tank with amazing results. I would do 1.027 over 1.023 every time but people use both. I prefer 1.026 only because if the water evaporates and I'm sick or away from home it won't get really high. Sorry about your firefish. They're one of my faves.

Sometimes the collection methods can doom a fish before it leaves the area it was caught. Your water is fine. Even 1.027 isn't a problem at all. Some people keep their tanks at that level for the life of the tank with amazing results. I would do 1.027 over 1.023 every time but people use both. I prefer 1.026 only because if the water evaporates and I'm sick or away from home it won't get really high. Sorry about your firefish. They're one of my faves.

Thank you. yeah I'm debating if I should replace him or not.. or just leave it the way it is and make more room for corals

this is odd... just got home from being out, left the tank with just the moonlights on, and when i got back a couple spots around my frogspawn were glowing green. (this is after the fact i fed them Marine Snow and they never opened back up afterwards) As if tips of the frogspawn have fallen off? or the color has somehow made its way to the sandbed? i dunno, its very strange :/

It could well be expelled zooxanthellae. You'll need to wait a couple of days before you'll know if it's actually bad. It could just be that it got an excess of food and the algae fed and grew more than the coral needed so some got expelled with the mucous. If it really did get shocked and spit out most of the zooxanthellae that could be a problem. Nothing to do now but watch it and see if it still has it's algae. Marine Snow is a good product from what I've heard though I've never used it myself. Anytime I feed corals it's very light. The only exception was for a dendro that I had years ago.

It could well be expelled zooxanthellae. You'll need to wait a couple of days before you'll know if it's actually bad. It could just be that it got an excess of food and the algae fed and grew more than the coral needed so some got expelled with the mucous. If it really did get shocked and spit out most of the zooxanthellae that could be a problem. Nothing to do now but watch it and see if it still has it's algae. Marine Snow is a good product from what I've heard though I've never used it myself. Anytime I feed corals it's very light. The only exception was for a dendro that I had years ago.

Darn it.. I think I screwed up :/ it says right on the bottle to not touch the corals and I remember accidently touching my frogspawn and metallic hammer. I hope they open up soon :/

Oh and its not Marine Snow.. its a knock off... "Ocean Snow" lol

Darn it.. I think I screwed up :/ it says right on the bottle to not touch the corals and I remember accidently touching my frogspawn and metallic hammer. I hope they open up soon :/

Oh and its not Marine Snow.. its a knock off... "Ocean Snow" lol

Hopefully they come back. A lot of these corals are stronger and harder than we think. Can't speak to the feeding them cause I have never fed anything to my corals. I just feed the tank formula one 2-3 times a week. I posted some pics of my tank last week and I have had good growth so I guess I'm just nervous I will mess with the harmony I have in the tank now. I need to start testing more though. Believe my calcium is getting used up fast. I can tell when it's time to do a change. After a change all the corals are huge and after a week or so they start to not be as big. I do a change and the next day they are back to full open again.

Hopefully they come back. A lot of these corals are stronger and harder than we think. Can't speak to the feeding them cause I have never fed anything to my corals. I just feed the tank formula one 2-3 times a week. I posted some pics of my tank last week and I have had good growth so I guess I'm just nervous I will mess with the harmony I have in the tank now. I need to start testing more though. Believe my calcium is getting used up fast. I can tell when it's time to do a change. After a change all the corals are huge and after a week or so they start to not be as big. I do a change and the next day they are back to full open again.

Yeah my calcium has been good as of late. But I just added some more SPS so I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for lower levels

Okay.. diatoms are back.. all over my sandbed... think I should get more of a CUC? My sand sifting star is injured and trying to grow back a leg at the moment

Well after a few days my corals are starting to come back to life(the ones I spot fed a little bit too close) they're opening up again and for the most part, seem a little bit bigger. I'll just have to remember not to hit them the next time I spot feed :)

Happy to hear it. No harm no foul. There's a learning curve for new products that we all go through. I didn't think you really hurt the corals.

Well the pipe organ is coming around nicely, same as the Acan, the other 2 I'm not really sure. The green bird nest had polyps on it the one day, then it fell over and now it's white :/ the other one the same thing. Just a whitish color.

I guess ill give em a little more time to acclimate to there new home and see how they are.

Ya I was afraid of them bleaching. Hopefully they will pull through and regain their color. : /

Are bicolor blennies supposed to be semi aggressive? I just saw him nip at my female occy clown twice and the one time it looked like it hurt her a lil :(

Back
Top Bottom