180g In Wall Construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yaksplat said:
That's the main reason that I do everything on my own. I personally don't trust someone else to do something. I used to work in construction building houses. The main theme among all the subcontractors that I worked with was, "I can't see it from my house, so it's fine". Basically saying that it doesn't matter how bad of a job I do.

Thats sad! Theres no pride in workmanship anymore!

I will be adding a separate Service Panel for the fish room and will add about 10 sockets to the fish room. That should be sufficient, I think. All will be GFCI protected. The electrical box for the room light and the fan had been installed last week.

I was thinking about doing this as well. I'm going to be building a new house with a 13' x 14' den that's just begging for a in wall tank.

If you have any advice or come up with things that you wish you did, post them.

Thanks
Jim

Jim: Yes, I am seeing less and less contractor taking pride in what they do. As you said, as long as you don't see it, they don't care. I am making a point to check everything they do and try not to compromise with them.

yaksplat said:
I was thinking about doing this as well. I'm going to be building a new house with a 13' x 14' den that's just begging for a in wall tank.

If you have any advice or come up with things that you wish you did, post them.

Thanks
Jim

Sure, will do. That is why I started this thread to share our knowledge on this wonderful hobby. I hope more people will join in to contribute and share their ideas that would definitely benefit everyone in this forum.

GrndHog: Thanks. I just hope that the whole thing will turn out to be what I expect.

"Water pipe Tjoint 640x480.JPG " <-- OMG!! was your plumber TRYING to start a fire? my god... all you need is a 6" square piece of aluminum flashing in your toolbox and you don't have to start the house on fire when soldering!

Boxster said:
I am seeing less and less contractor taking pride in what they do.
Unfortuentely, it's not just contractors. I see this more and more everywhere, everyday. I find it truely saddening. :?

scorch marks aside Boxster :) Things are looking nice! I'm glad you were able to make the plumbing work out in the room, i think it'll make things MUCH easier for you! Are you only going to have cold water in there? The only reason I ask is for when you're making RO water in the winter months. How cold does your tap water get? In the winter I have to supply my RO unit with both hot and cold water to get a room temp supply. My straight cold water in the winter can get in the low 40s. This causes the RO unit to run EXTREMELY slow. if thats a possibility for you as well you might want to think ahead about how you can handle that. I know they make inline "on-demand" water heaters. Basicaly its under the sink and heats the water electrically as you use the water. Don't know what your budget is or if cold water is even an issue... just tossin out more thoughts!

BillyZ: What!! Winter is just over and you are reminding me of winter again..... :lol: Thanks. My RO is making the water more slowly in winter but is not too bad. I have 5g /2hrs in winter. I tried to avoid hot water into the RO/DI. Read somewhere that that will degrade the lifespan of the membrance.

More work had been done over the last few days. And Yahoo, the tank came in over the weekend. Here are a few pics of the 180g Tank. So far I am pretty happy with the workmanship of AGA on this tank. The tank is in the Garage now and as you can see I am doing the leak test just in case.

BillyZ: You bet... :wink: Now, I don't know what to do with the water. Draining it is a waste, so I have been using to water my wife's flowers and plant. She had began to wonder why all of the sudden I am being so nice to her. Well, it just another excuse of mine to spend more time on the tank. :D Just hope that Mosquitoes will not start to breed in there.

Put up part of the drywall and completed the stand over the weekend. I left opening at the bottom front to give me easy access to the sump. However, with the arrival of the tank, I then realized that the opening of the in wall is not tall enough. The tank specs says is 72x24x24, and upon calling my LFS twice to confirm that it is really 24 tall including the bracket, I have my opening built 25" tall. Unfortunately, the LFS is WRONG!! The tank height with the black bracket is actually 25.5"!! Why did I trust the LFS?? :cry: So the alterations had to be done and I with the help of the contractor, tear down the top framing and redo it again to have the opening at 26.5". Well here are some pics after the alteratons is done.

The tank specs says is 72x24x24, and upon calling my LFS twice to confirm that it is really 24 tall including the bracket, I have my opening built 25" tall. Unfortunately, the LFS is WRONG!! The tank height with the black bracket is actually 25.5"!! Why did I trust the LFS??

Same thing happened to me when I built mine, 1/2 inch to short. I'm reliving my experience through you.

No middle support in the back? If you can get away w/ it, great!! Man, I dont know.

Seems like all people sells their tank as pleased.

In my case i left the wallhole like 5" higher than tank, and when i placed the tank i have just .5" left :S

JH

Alright?

well you have to cut that extra 1.5" from Your tank !!!! LOL

As i stated before seems that marketing is taking control over Aquarism 2!!!

Think you r lucky you have drywall. In my case i have concrete (imagine the process for adding one more inch)

;)
JH

Nice Job. I am doing the same thing right now in my basement with a 225. I will take some pics and post them when I have a chance.

Are you going to put plywood down on the top of the stand? If you have the space I would suggest it since the 2x4's will shrink up and move a bit so the plywood will give you a nice level base to hold your tank.

I would also look into putting some lateral support from the back support posts to the front to keep it sturdy front to back. This should help since you do not have a center support.

keep up the good work it looks great. Mine is being sheet rocked this weekend. I have done the rest of it myself but want to get it done so I can fill my tank and start the cycling process.

GrndHog: Thanks for sharing the same experience with me. I felt better. I have a carpenter take a look at it and he felt confident that no middle support on the back is ok. Also, note that from the pics, I have the 2x4 place the other way that will give it more robust to withstand the weight.

tmcpeek: Yes, I intend to put granite countertop on the stand. Still looking at all the options though. I am afraid the granite may be hard to cut holes for the overflow.

He does realize the weight that your stand is going to support is going to around 2200lbs, right?

Not doubting you, but just talking it out w/ you. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom