194G IPI tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gti_Leo said:
be careful cleaning it

Lol! I know, I asked the retailer how to, got acrylic cleaning supplies. Plus I ordered tropic Eden reef flakes which are larger particle substrate so it won't blow around when I'm within a few inches of it like the sugar fine stuff I have now does. At least if I scratch it, it can be buffed, not that I want to become an expert at that.

Notice it is still wrapped in the plastic too!

yeah it can be buffed but it also has to be drained in orger to buff it. you need a special magfloat to clean the glass or a sponge on the inside, just start from the top down, atleast if you pick up sand you don't drag it around the tank its just at the bottom

Thanks guys, I have one coat of kilz on the inside of the stand, lol. That thing is a monster compared to my 72, and I was worried it would be too small.

The ocean would be great, except I'm terrified of sharks. Some updates...been painting, staining, sealing and plumbing all week and weekend. It is almost ready for rock, sand, water.

my son in sump
img_1744734_0_32cf6cfdf430ab2b8b8d53a77af54360.jpg

Holes, paint done
img_1744734_1_aa9a8230ab73b8ca5489a5f60e9bc83d.jpg

Coast to coast with beananimal plumbing going in.
img_1744734_2_bdeee99eb3fdd0d844b2eb2080c64e07.jpg

The beast stained
img_1744734_3_b464d7b22438e5c7813573ddede07922.jpg

Tomorrow I finish the return plumbing and attempt to hook up the BRS dual reactor to the return.

Gti_Leo said:
1.5" drains? is your sump goign to be a sump/fuge? what size return pump are you going to use?

Yes, and they are huge, lol. I keep going back and forth with the sump, my latest is just filling it with rock. Every time I try chaeto or other macros, they disappear on me, no die off just gone. Now I thought I still had a pistol shrimp in my sump but would it consume that much macro?

The sump is about 70 gallons if I remember correctly (48x18x16), basically as big as my existing tank, lol.

My return pump is a reef octopus water blaster 3000, 750gph, that I'm bringing over from my existing setup. I have two 3/4" return lines and was going to tee off the reactor and have some flow go there (valve controlled) and the return empty back into the sump.

you had that on a 72g with a fuge? thats alot of flow through such a small tank. i personally wouldn't got past 500 ghp with a fuge on that. that doesn't leave much time for the chaeto to soak up that little tank nutirents.

its always been a general rule of thumb with a fuge to go with about 2-5 times the total volume. chaeto doesn't like high flow but it does liek to tumble to you could always put a powerhead in the fuge to thicken up the chaeto

Well geez....maybe I will need to try it again. So in this tank, the 750 with some head loss is in the 2-three times range correct? Total system volume about 250 gals.

I sold my 72 and stand, they want it Weds night. So I have to empty it by then. I have the cube with live rock that has been set up for a few weeks. I will put the clowns and RBTA, corals in there as well as the clam and any snails I can grab. That will be the eradicate the pyramid snail tank. I have my 6 light T5 fixture I can use over that. Then I have a 10 I can set up, I will fill with LR from the tank, and put the wrasse, assessor, and blenny.

The 20 has the foxface and a tiny kole tang in hypo in there with about two more weeks of hypo. When I bring it up I will shorten the observation time as it seems Kole tang is getting hlle/she is pale around her head. So they may be the first in the big tank in about 4 weeks if it has cycled. I may use more of the live rock I have then I initially planned.

So just a boring week ahead in fish world, ugh!

the pumps will be fine mr.x ran a full system with a mag5 pump for a year and it was a brilliant system.

rather then setting up tanks you can always use rubber made bins, just transfer over the sand and rock and put your fish in them with a few small power heads circulating the water until you are ready to move them all to the new tank

I ended up putting all the fish, my fire red shrimp, snails and most corals in the 29, everyone is doing okat, the clowns are very protective of their RBTA, they attacked my blenny so I yelled at them and gave them a very stern look as well as put up rock so they are in their own cave with the RBTA. Now Lenny (blenny) is up on the rocks on the other side of the tank and doing okay, still breathing a little heavy. 6 line is all over the tank, thank goodness he is not aggressive. I have to break the rock the clam is on so I can put it in the 29 also. I brushed each and every snail to remove the pyramid snails I could see, so I will keep at it.

Removed sand from 72, what a chore. Finished plumbing on the new tank, have to glue everything together then it is fill time, lol. Going to be slow, 250 gallons slow.

Nice job so far. Glad everything is working out for the big move. :)

You are really making some progress, can't wait for the next update. This is gonna be one awesome looking tank!

you could speed up the fill by buying some 5 gallon jugs of distilled water although that would still take a while and be alot of jugs, i'm sure your rock will displace a few gallons of water but still even 230 gallons with a 100gpd rodi usin will take a few days :(

My day...I have well water, so after watching about 40 gallons go down the drain to make about 1 gallon of RO from the system I set up (not our house RO) I did some research. Wells have very low water pressure, the lower the pressure the more water wasted. If you are on city water you can actually get a thing called a permeate pump that you plumb into the RO system and it will reduce the water you waste by up to 80%. It doesn't work as efficient for wells, I need a booster pump, which we have on our house RO system, I didn't know.

My husband gets mad when I use all the RO water, so I was going to use this other unit. Ugh. So about four hours of constant water running and I had a gallon to show for it, lol. I've switched to the house system for now.

I do have enough in there to test the return plumbing now.

Back
Top Bottom