1o gallon new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a new ten gallon and would like to get fish plants and maybe get a small shrimp like a ghost. are there any recomendations you would have for fish in this size tank? i was thinking maybe some tetras and a gourami? would that work? thanks for any help.
:ninja:

10 gallon

A dwarf gourami would be good. There are many good tetras to get, and most are easy to keep. I'd stay away from the nippy tetras like Serpaes. Some dwarf corydoras would work too.

Once it's been cycled, several ghost shrimp look really cool roaming around the bottom of a small tank. We have a betta, 6 ghost shrimp, and 3 snails in our 5 gal hex. They all live happily together. The only problem that you will have is if you get aggressive fish. I have been told that Cichlid's and ghost shrimp do not mix. I realize that you aren't looking into cichlids, just a little bit of info for future reference.

I think that several tetra's and the ghost shrimp would look really nice in a planted tank.

aha i now that you definitely cant put any crustations; snails, shrimp, clams in a tank of cichlids trust me i cant tell you how many snails i bought before i realized my old oscar was eating them (old because he is no more).

Maybe a Betta and some Neon Tetras. Just make sure you get it completely cycled before adding any Tetras or you can kiss them goodbye. Ghost Shrimp would be really fun if you have a crew of about 6. African Dwarf Frogs are cool as well.

I've had mollies and guppies in my 10 gallon for about 6 months now. I also have a couple snails and a 3 ghost shrimp running around the bottom. The guppies are really pretty, so are the mollies, and they're pretty easy fish for beginners. I haven't had any problems, none of my fish have died and everything is going really well :) The one thing is that my mollies and my guppies have had babies a couple times already, but the mollies have eaten them all, untill a couple weeks ago. The only reason a few survived is because I saw them and took 3 out, and they had some live plants to hide in untill I took them out. I would think that as long as you don't have any live plants where the babies can hide, you wouldn't have a population overgrowth. Also, why do people keep saying a 10 gallon is small? :) I think a 2.5 gallon is small, a 5 gallon is small, a 10 gallon isn't a 55 gallon, but it's a pretty decent size. It's not tiny or anything. I wouldn't really recommend getting something bigger to someone who told me they got a 10 gallon to start off with... a bigger aquarium would be nicer, but I don't think it's necessary. For someone in a smaller space, I think a 10 gallon is perfect.

A 10 gal is a good size to start. I say this because it is a LOT harder to keep water quality at an optimum level in a 10 gal versus a 250 gal. If a person can master a 10 gal tank, they can do just about anything. It is a good place to start because it costs quite a bit of money when you buy your first tank. Once you start to aquire larger tanks, you generally have most of the stuff needed, except for the obvious. Some people get into the hobby on a whim, and purchasing everything that is needed to start out on a 55 gal tank to learn that they really aren't that interested. All that money wasted. Your options are limited, but the fish that generally can reside in a 10 gal tank can GENERALLY withstand a lot.

You could get maybe 3 otos and a pair of dwarf or honey gouramis. ghost shrimp don't live very long in fresh water (theyre more brackish), but theyre cheap so you could just replace them when they die. if you add any other crustaceans, its better to have hard water. if not you may have to add something to your water, like calcium, so they can molt properly.

Back
Top Bottom