1st time Cycle stuck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruffers99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, im starting to get worried that im stalled :confused:

I have a 90G, all new. Added filter balls to my filter, filled, dechlorinated with prime and left for a few days as you will see below, then dosed with ACE ammonia. I have read that it can take longer for the ammonia to start dropping depending on the size of the tank?

I am wondering if I should do a 30% wc at the weekend to see if it makes a difference?

thanks for any help!! :(

Attachments

• Image-1.png
    Image-1.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 168
sorry a little additional info in case it makes a difference. I added the 10.22ml ammonia after I did the other tests on the 20th and after I dosed i cranked the heater up to 82.5

thanks

save yourself a lot of hassle and headaches and just get some hardy fish and cycle the tank the proper way.

I have yet to read any great success stories on here concerning fishless cycling, but fish-in cycling works every time. (y)

was trying to get this going the stress free way. I would be happier if I could do this without putting the fish through it... :(

You haven't waited long enough. Unless you are using seeded media or something else to kick start the cycle it can take as long as a month before you see ammonia dropping.

You haven't waited long enough. Unless you are using seeded media or something else to kick start the cycle it can take as long as a month before you see ammonia dropping.

(y)
definitely try to get some seeded media, it will be the difference between having a nice tank relatively soon or pulling your hair out chasing numbers for goodness only knows how many months.;)

ok yeah thanks guys, I am using BB balls in the filter, I was just expecting for some movement by now as they dissolve into the media.
I will try to stop pulling my hair out. desperately trying not to grab a bottle of Dr Tims .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::banghead:

save yourself a lot of hassle and headaches and just get some hardy fish and cycle the tank the proper way.

I have yet to read any great success stories on here concerning fishless cycling, but fish-in cycling works every time. (y)

Huh.

Well...

I cycled a 29 with ACE ammonia and a dirty filter pad from someone here. Took about 10 days, probably would have been a lot less if I hadn't overdosed ammonia.

The tank has been through some odd situations since (moved, filter broke, power out) and I've never seen a trace of ammonia since.

I've fishless cycled a 3, a 10, and a 1 gallon ... Some several times over just to see how it works. Those cycled in a matter of days, with seeded media.

The person who gave me seeded media, once someone pretty active here, fishless cycled a filter in a 5 gallon bucket just to see if she could.

There's no reason a fishless cycle wouldn't work. Whether or not you believe it's cruel to the fish, I appreciate that the cycle can go more quickly with fewer water changes.

To the OP, Dr Tims seems to get several good reviews. Getting bacteria from somewhere, preferably not a bottle, would help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

ok so I took readings last night and although I haven't really see the ammonia drop it cold be on its way to dropping? The reason I thought this was for the first time I saw Nitrites show up slightly. see new readings attached.

Attachments

• Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 81
That is a good sign!

It is hard to see a drop of .25ppm when your ammonia is at 4ppm so it probably is dropping.

That is a good sign!

It is hard to see a drop of .25ppm when your ammonia is at 4ppm so it probably is dropping.

yeah ok cool, i hope it is dropping, i just thought i would have seen the ammonia drop off more distinctively before the nitrites started to show up. I will start testing daily to see.

fingers crossed :) thx

Do you know of anyone or even a lfs that could give you some seeded bio-media?

I don't, but I added bb filter balls before I started, they dissolve over 2 to 3 weeks, so I'm hoping they are on their way by know. I think it's starting to turn based off of that slight change.

so i have a question?
I may need to top off or do a wc at some point during the cycle. if im topping off i will add prime to the bucket of new water, and if I need to do a wc at any point, my plan was to turn off the heater/pump, drain, then dose w/prime and fill with fresh water.
My question is, what should i expect to see from my tests after adding prime or new water with prime? will it mess up my readings? will I have to wait for a time then test, will I have to re-does the ammonia?

Sorry a few questions in there... ;)

Back
Top Bottom