2 1/2 build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a small 2 1/2 gallon tank that I want to make a sw tanks, I have a small tomato clown that's getting pick on in my 20 gallon so I want to put him in there. If I use the water from my 20 gallon and a couple of live rock do I have to cycle the tank??

You would have to cycle the tank. PLUS you can't put a clown in a 2.5g tank LOL. It's good for shrimp and inverts but thats about it.

carey said:
You would have to cycle the tank. PLUS you can't put a clown in a 2.5g tank LOL. It's good for shrimp and inverts but thats about it.

+1
yep he might be small but you are talking about a TOMATO CLOWNFISH . Even small they swim more then the regular ones do , so the stress of him just being in there can cause him to get sick.
Try and setup at least a 10g
Hope it works out.

I would also recommend a 10g tank for occasions like this. The 2.5 might stress the clown out so much more that he dies. :-( You can get a 10g tank at walmart for like $12. You'll have to change the water everyday though since it wont be cycled.

What fish is bothering it in your 20g?

Good luck with your fish.

carey said:
I would also recommend a 10g tank for occasions like this. The 2.5 might stress the clown out so much more that he dies. :-( You can get a 10g tank at walmart for like $12. You'll have to change the water everyday though since it wont be cycled.

What fish is bothering it in your 20g?

Good luck with your fish.

A bigger clown and I think the Chromis

All the fish are doing good. I added some polish pads to my AC 50 and did a skimmer mod to it to pick up my top junk. My tank has a Little agley but not bad, the tank just has particles floating around. What can I do to clear it up. I have a 20 gallon tank. Also should I add a skimmer or uv stabilizer?

If you keepup on your water changes you can go without a skimmer unless of course you have the extra cash and feel like spending some. ;-)

I run my 29g cube with no skimmer adn ran my regular straight 29 without one for awhile until I started accumulating corals. I can't get nitrates back to 0 but thats my fault for the way I feed and probably wouldnt improve even with a skimmer.

So the fish are getting along better now then? Thats good to hear.

Thats one of those big debates in sw I think. lol Some people swear by them some say they are useless. I havent used one, yet, I am open to the idea but I don't think it's a good idea for my setup. I heard it can kill pods from a refugium so I stayed away.

There some threads on here if you search it, you'll see what I mean. It's like a 50 50 split for or against.

I agree Carey.
Some love them some don't. I have never used one, but as you mentioned , I don't want to risk my pods getting zapped! We work so hard to build the colonies up.

This mite be a dumb question but I really don't know about pods, how many would I need for my tank? And what is the benefit of them?

They are part of the natural ecosystem in marine. They are a good sign of a healthy tank and fish eat them. Some fish ONLY eat pods like dragonets. So if you ever intended to have one of those fish you'd need a good solid pod population. :) Thats what I've learned about it.

Back
Top Bottom