2.5 gallon ruge on 2 gallon deco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
so today i bought a 2.5 gallon tank with light. i was going to use it for a refuge for my deco but i cant decide if i want the 2.5 as my dt or my refuge. any thoughts? also how could i make a overflow for something that small? or could i just use two pumps of exactly the same flow rate and it be ok? i generally know using to pumps is a bad idea but i was just wondering about this?

Badddd Idea. Very very bad. Even if two pumps are rated with the same GPH they in reality will have very different gph. On such a small tank a difference in a fractional GPH can mean an empty tank and water all over floor.
Why don't you just take a glass cutter and cut a small rectangle and partition it off with some mesh along the edge of one side of a tank and then silicone the other tank to it. Only one tank would actually contain a pump. it would pump into the cut tank and then overflow back.

You could probably super glue a small spill way to make sure all the water gets into the return tank.

if they have flat edges, put those together and elevate the one you will use as a fuge slightly, then use 1 pump to pump water out of the main tank and into the fuge, then cut out a section on the fuge so it overflows back into the DT. Does that make sense?

if they have flat edges, put those together and elevate the one you will use as a fuge slightly, then use 1 pump to pump water out of the main tank and into the fuge, then cut out a section on the fuge so it overflows back into the DT. Does that make sense?
the 2.5 is flat and the 2 is the tom deco kit and is kinda curved. and yeah i get what you mean. i was thinking having the dt run into the fuge then pump into the dt. im just not sure if there would be any differences between which tank has the pump

if the pump ever failed, whatever tank has the overflow will lose water, so depending on where you put the overflow/drain, you could lose an inch or so of water.

its not a huge deal, but I know in my pico, i had to use every bit of space I could, and there was lots of stuff up towards the top I wouldn't want to come out of the water.

alright thanks jimbo. so i decided on pumping into the dt and overflow into the fuge/trickle. i know its gonna be small area but itll be alot better then the tiny hob filter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom