2 Month Old Platy W/ Swim Bladder Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EscVelocity

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 2 Month red wag fry has developed a swim bladder problem. She has issues getting herself off the floor of the aquarium. She is still very lively, eats well,color is good ect. I'm going to try pea treatment with her.
I was wondering what else you guys might think would work. I will be putting her in the breeder trap for treatment because I am concerned about her causing a sore on her underbelly from rubbing against the substrate.
What i have available are both antiparasite and antibacterial foods. Do you think i should also try the antibacterial food in combination with peas?

Epsom salts is what helps with constipation, aquarium salt dehydrates and makes it worse. The fish seems young to be having swim bladder problems it could be a birth defect so I wouldn't consider breeding her.

I have the same problem with one of my platys. It's a grown platy and have had him for about a month now. He just lays on the bottom and swims up to the surface every few minutes and drops back down. It also looks like it struggles to swim up. It looks healthy otherwise...very colorful...eats like a champ...no skin lesions or nothing...it does however have a slightly curved spine...it's been like this ever since I got the platy over a month ago...I have tried the peas treatment and no positive results...I have him isolated in a 10 gal bucket and I'll continue with 50% pwc every 2 days hoping for the best...no idea how else to treat it.

Epsom salts is what helps with constipation, aquarium salt dehydrates and makes it worse. The fish seems young to be having swim bladder problems it could be a birth defect so I wouldn't consider breeding her.

(y)

Also, what are your water parameters and how often do you do water changes?

My parameters are
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
between 10 and 20 nitrates
Temp is 77-78 F

I do 25%/30% water changes every Saturday or Sun.
The other tank mates seem fine. I've not added any new fish or ornaments to the tank. The symptoms did begin after my last water change on Sunday though.

Back
Top Bottom