2 week old guppy fry with pointed tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z1owo1z

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently came back from a trip and made a mistake to entrust my fishes (9 adult guppies in a 10 gallon tank) to my little brother who doesn't know much how to take care of fishes (he was the only person i know that would take care of my fishes). i was gone for about 10 days and when i came back there were only 3 guppies (1 female 2 male) and 8 fry. it turns out that when i as gone my little brother didn't remove the dead bodies and they developed and were covered with a white substance (cotton wool disease?). he eventually removed the dead bodies that increased. when i arrived home it was too late to save the 3 guppies but the fry seemed okay? luckily i have a fishless 5 gallon tank and i put the guppy fry in it, however recently more and more guppy fry are having pointed tails?

here are some pictures of the fry

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 250
  • securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 229
  • securedownload (2).jpg
    securedownload (2).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 152
Hmmm interesting, what type of gup were the parents? And how long did you have them for?
It almost looks as if the fry are developing a spade tail or even a pin tail.
What are your water readings?

water temp: 77.4 ph: 6.8 ammonia: 0ppm nitrite: 0ppm nitrate: 2ppm
i purchased the guppies at Petsmart and 2 females (6 in total) were pregnant. i've had the guppies for 2 weeks (and when i get back i get the news that they died) i also forgot to mention that yesterday i put maracyn 2 into their 5 gallon tank. here is a picture of a female that was placed into a smaller tank (i wanted to know if she was close to give birth) reminder: this picture was taken before i left

Attachments

• securedownload (3).jpg
    securedownload (3).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 213
  • securedownload (4).jpg
    securedownload (4).jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 135
I'd say that she may have a week or less left to go.
Concerning the fry, just watch them. I don't think that the pointed tails are anything to worry about, it could just be the breed of the guppy considering that you bought the females pregnant there is no way of telling what she bred with.
Keep us posted! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom