2 week-old tank still getting established?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youknowho

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gal fw tank that has had high nitrites and nitrates both times I've had the water tested at my lfs. The results are:

Week 1 test (after 15% water change)
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 1.0

Week 2 test (after 20% water change)
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 1.5

My question is, is my tank still seeing the initial ammonia spike from being set up? The water is pretty clear and I use Aqueon water conditioner when I do water changes (not clear if this product affects nitrates/nitrites). I have 5 african dwarf frogs that are healthy (they already mated!), 5 zebra nerites, and just added 3 mts to help clean the sand substrate.

Do I need to be using Prime in addition, or doing a water change more than once a week? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies (and the links eco23). I'll do slightly larger and more frequent water changes until the nitrite numbers come down.

What that link said about moving filter media or rocks over is the best practice I have found. I even buy a couple extra rocks before setting up a new tank. That way I can pull the ones in my established tank and pit them in the new one after a week of filling and replace the old ones in the established tank. Also if you have a bio wheel in an old filter, It is a gold mine!

Back
Top Bottom