2 weeks 4 days no ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aurora

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I introduced myself a couple weeks ago. I purchased a Betta and a tank at the same time. The Fluval Spec 5 gallon. I added a heater and a thermometer. Also one of those SeaChem ammonia monitor things that suction to the inside of the tank (although I don’t trust it, it’s there). I bought the api master freshwater test kit. I also have some of those tetra easy strips that do not test for ammonia, just everything else. I bought prime to treat the water when I filled the tank. I do not have another established tank. I do have previous experience with a 60 gallon, planted freshwater tank. The cycling monitoring etc. so I know I should have cycled the tank before purchasing the fish. But I did it anyway. I did however set up a second 5 gallon to cycle the correct way, so my daughter can pick out a betta when the tank is ready.

Here is where I am at. I have been testing my water daily and I have zero ammonia. None. It has been 18 days and there is no ammonia in the tank. I feed Aurora everyday. About a week ago I did about a 40% water change because my PH was a bit high at 8.0 , so I used bottled water that had a neutral PH and of course primed the water first. That got the ph to 7.5. Also, I didn’t touch the filter.
Here we are a week later and still no ammonia.
Now I have marimo balls in there. These balls I have had for about a year. But I always used untreated tap water with them. Besides if they had cycled in their jars, I would be getting nitrate or nitrite readings, those are also at zero.
I had bought some live plants for the tank. I quarantined them in other tank I’m trying to cycle, for a little over a week. Then put them in Auroras tank. She has also had the indian almond leaves in her tank as well.
I am at a loss as to why I am not getting ammonia in the tank to start the cycle. Any ideas?

Hello Aurora...

As an experienced tank keeper, you'll recall that the water chemistry in very small tanks is difficult to keep steady enough to support fish, but can be done. A fish in cycle is fairly simple. You feed the fish a little bit every day or two and test the water daily for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you get a positive test for either of these forms of nitrogen, you remove a third of the water and replace it with treated tap water. You test daily and change the water until several daily tests show not trace of ammonia or nitrite. The tank has cycled. Then, you change half the water weekly for the life of the tank.

B

Any signs on your test kits yet?

If not, What kind of plants are in there? In my planted with lots of fast growing plants I usually have 0/0/0 readings unless I dose nitrogen. Could that be the case; the plants are taking care of any nitrogenous compounds before you see them?

Back
Top Bottom