2 weeks into fishless cycle w/ shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter905

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, it's been about two weeks into my fishless cycle with three raw shrimp. Still no signs of Ammonia yet but I'm guessing it is a bit to soon to see an Ammonia spike.
I can now see the shrimp physically starting to breakdown so I'm hoping for recordable Ammonia levels soon.
I have only started running a heater now for about 5 days now. I know I should have had one sooner but didn't have one on hand. My tank was running around 72 deg. before the heater. Now it is about 74 or 75deg. with some fluctuation.
Any inputs from people that have done this please chime in and let me know if I'm doing everything ok. Thanks.

This is a 75 gal. and I have not had the lights on during the cycle process since it is not planted as of yet. The only thing in the tank as of yet is Flourite(which I am using from a tank that I had setup about 1 1/2 years ago) and Driftwood.

Speaking purely scientifically, I would think it would be to your advantage to up the temperature at least a few more degrees. Bacterial growth and division will increase as temperature increases--thus speeding along the process--all the way until you reach the point that the bacteria are so hot they are dying (which certainly won't happen before the low-80's for sure, and perhaps higher than that.)

Yeah, some tropical fish like water up to 82 degress, so I wouldn't think the bacteria would die untill a little higher than that, or a lot higher? I'm thinking bacteria are pretty resiliant to things like that, bacteria survive in some very weird conditions in nature.

two things bump up the heat to 82-84F and add alot of aireation or surface movement. This ought to get things going. ;)

Thanks guys, I bumped up the temp. to about 83 deg. give or take. And as far as the water aggitation goes I have both of my outflow tubes on my canister filters pointing to the surface creating surface aggitation at both sides of the tank. Will this be enough or do I need to add an airstone?

Thanks guys, I bumped up the temp. to about 83 deg. give or take. And as far as the water aggitation goes I have both of my outflow tubes on my canister filters pointing to the surface creating surface aggitation at both sides of the tank. Will this be enough or do I need to add an airstone?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom