2 weeks, still no nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErnieB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Its a 37g tank and i have 5 silvertip tetras in there. I used stress coat+ to dechlor and detox ammonia. Ph is steady at 7.8. Ammonia is about 1-2. Temp is steady 78. Does it take longer for nitrite to start appearing or do i need more fish?

cycling with generally takes longer. before i started running extra filters in case i need to instantly cycle a new tank, it was generally taking around 2 weeks before i saw a nitrite spike, and that was with 4-5ppm ammonia... dont be surprised if it takes up to 6 weeks or so for the tank to cycle if youre using fish... and 1-2ppm is way too high for fish to live in... needs to be under .5ppm

thx for the reply. I just wanted to make sure. From some of the articles i read they stated around day 8 you would see some nitrites but its been almost 2 weeks with none yet. The stress coat detoxes the ammonia so i figured it really didnt matter too much? I did a 10%pwc after 1st week when ammonia was at 1 and will do another this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom