20 gal cycling - no ammonia changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OlgaD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

As it have happened with many others I got into having an aquarium and fish-in cycling without intending to do so. My hubby and daughter decided that we need an aquarium right now and with my biology/chemistry profession I ended up taking care about it, doing sort of post-mortem research, and resolving issues :ermm: Anyway, with all the problems so far I honestly should admit that I got hooked (again, as many others).

So, with a new tank cycling for 10 days I do have some questions and wonder if anybody knows answers or suggestions. Just a friendly shoulder would be nice too :)
Here are our events in a chronological order with all the details I feel necessary to tell (sorry about the long post!!).
2/7
20 gal tank set up. Artificial plants, gravel from pet store. Topfin 20 filter, heater (keep 78F), air stone always on. Tap water treated with Topfin conditioner and bac supplement according to the instructions.
2/8
Our API 5 in 1 test strip showed GH - 120, KH - 80, pH - 6.5, NO2 - .5, NO3 - 20. Went to a pet store, water check (strips) showed ok. Got 3 tiger barbs and API Aquarium Salt (put somewhat less than recommended and before releasing). Released with equalizing temp, adding a little water to the bag and waiting - x2, netting out.
2/9
Pet store water test (strips) - ok. Got 2 more tiger barbs because one of the 3 at home was bullying others pretty nasty. Did PWC 25% with the same treatment (temp 76F, conditioner, salt, bac suppl) then released 2 newcomers with all the precautions.
2/10-2/14
Daily PWC 25-30% with the same water treatments. Feeding lightly with flakes, cleaning noticeable pieces from the bottom while changing water. Trips to the store for water tests - ok with slightly (??) elevated ammonia on 2/14. Meanwhile three barbs have died one by one :banghead: (how good was the water then, you ask?).
2/14
With dying fish and "ok" water tests I did my research on other people experiences. Got API FW master kit. Test results on 2/14 before PWC:
Ammonia - 0.25 in the tank, .25-.5 in Topfin conditioner treated tap water :blink: So my PWCs to lower ammonia were kind of useless :confused:?
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 20
pH - controversial: normal range (measures 6.0-7.6) showed 7.6, while high range (measures 7.4-8.8) showed 7.4. Strips showed 6.5. And in untreated tap water my pH (master kit) was 6.8-7.2 (hard to tell difference in these colors). :confused: I assumed that our tank pH is somewhere around 7.5 then.

2/15
Being unhappy with my water treatment results and losing one more barb I researched more and on 2/15 I got Seachem Prime, Tetra SafeStart (fresh with good exp date), and API AmmoLock (converts ammonia to non-toxic BUT bacteria available form for two days on one doze). Also hoping that with all these precautions, monitoring, and frequent PWCs I can protect the fish, and with just one fish in 20 gal tank I made a hard decision to get 4 more tiger barbs. BUT I got them from another store. Just to exclude one more factor...
Before releasing new fish I removed old one to another container so I could treat the tank without harming it, did PWC 30% (water treated with Prime and salt). Added AmmoLock, waited. Added half a bottle of Tetra SS. They do recommend the whole bottle for the start but because I was adding bac suppl before with every PWC I thought that I should probably have some friendly bugs in my water already. All the barbs were released with the same precautions as before (temp, adding water x2, netting out). Measurements were all the same as on 2/14.

2/16 and 2/17
No PWC was done for these two days as Tetra SS recommends to wait for a week. Tested water every day though (I know, I know, too often you say, but I wanted to catch any spikes before they hit little guys). Tests showed no changes at all. In case I would see any harmful elevation I intend to do PWC anyway to avoid harming my barbs. AmmoLock treatment is needed every two days so on 2/17 I mixed in next recommended doze.

After additional research on filtering I have ordered Aquaclear Biomax media. Once it arrives I will open up TopFin 20 filter cartridge, remove coal, and substitute it with Biomax. Apparently only coal-containing cartridges are available for my filter and I come to think that it is not good for our tank. But Biomax seems to have a very good reputation for growing bacterial colony.

What I do not really understand - if the water was ok why I lost four at the beginning? :confused: Also in ten days should not I see any ammonia elevation? It seems a bit strange that I have fish peeing and pooping and ammonia levels are just the same as in treated tap water. Can it be true and all the bottled bacteria are indeed jumped on eating it and just keep up with what is produced? Or five 1 inch barbs do not make noticeable difference for the kit?

Appreciate any help!!! :thanks:

I didn't read the whole thing, if you summarize it will help.

Maybe your ammonia test kit is not accurate. The 0.5ppm nitrites shows that some ammonia converted to nitrites. Now you must lower thoses nitrites with water changes.

I think your cycle is on the good way. Some fish die when you just bought it for no reason (stress)

Thanks. But nitrites showed only initially and only in strips. Everyone agrees that liquid tests are most accurate and they show constant .25-.5 ammonia and 0 for nitrites.
I am sorry my post was very long but I included all details that are usually asked to make a diagnosis :)

Are you using API liquid tests?

My API NO2 (nitrites) and PO4 tests never showed any reading. Always got a perfect blue results.

As the old says "Better safe than worry" if you suspect anything wrong with the water contents, just do a water change. Anyways, you need to do a lot of PWC while fish-in cycling to prevent fish loss.

Back
Top Bottom