20 Gallon Long Stocking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiji007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I am currently stocking a 20 gallon long and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my stocking ideas. I checked on Aqadvisor and they both seem to check out.

1) Barb Tank: 5-6 tiger barbs, 5 rosy/gold barbs, 1 vampire shrimp, 2 bolivian rams, small school of emerald cories, and 1-2 CPO crayfish if possible.

2)Coldwater: 1-2 Fantail goldfish, 2-4 Dojo loaches, colony of ghost/cherry shrimp.

pH- 7.4
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 5ppm

Hey everyone,

I am currently stocking a 20 gallon long and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my stocking ideas. I checked on Aqadvisor and they both seem to check out.

1) Barb Tank: 5-6 tiger barbs, 5 rosy/gold barbs, 1 vampire shrimp, 2 bolivian rams, small school of emerald cories, and 1-2 CPO crayfish if possible.

2)Coldwater: 1-2 Fantail goldfish, 2-4 Dojo loaches, colony of ghost/cherry shrimp.

pH- 7.4

Ammonia- 0ppm

Nitrite- 0ppm

Nitrate- 5ppm

Goldfish need big tanks, sooner rather than later. Fantails ? I'd start at minimum 29g to 40g. Knowing they'll need a 50g or 75g down the road. They grow fast. If they don't have room to grow they stunt. Keeping a smaller tank clean is hard with GF.
Dojos grow fast also. Plus major escape artists.

I'd not recommend this set up. They need extra filtration as well. Solid Gold on YouTube has great vids on raising GF. And why lots of pristine water is the best thing.

That's a lot of Barbs for a 20g. Rosies get hefty.

You could do a bigger group of Tiger Barbs. Or look at Cherry Barbs.

I kept Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras together for years. Make sure to have more female Barbs than males. The males color up and look amazing for the girls. The girls go a nice bronze color. They look great away from the store.
IMG_0132.jpg

I would prefer to have more than one species of barbs and I Really want tiger barbs. A buddy of mine recommend either rosy or gold barbs because apparently they are less likely to get picked on by tigers?

Thanks

As Coursair suggested rosy barbs get bigger and gold barbs require colder water. Cherry would be better, but if you go rosy/gold do the roses. Just know they may outgrow the tank and will require more water changes to maintain water quality.

Back
Top Bottom