20 gallon long tank - sides bowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it normal for a 20G long to bow the front and back when full? It's minor, but with the glass top installed it's very obvious - and more than a little troubling.

It's a Top Fin 20L I picked up from PetSmart the other day for my QT tank. It appears to be well constructed, with no obvious defects, but this bow has me worried. Normal or not? Thanks!

20g long means deeper than tall right?

I've never had one,but thats not much pressure imo.

If it were mine I would be concerned fwiw.I would not expect it.

It's longer that a standard 20G - 30" long, and 12" both front-to-back and top-to-bottom. I expect that it's normal, but with my luck there's a problem.

20L, nor any other tank should bow, especially if it is tempered glass. Bowing indicates a separation taking place which could be disastrous.

Could it be an optical illusion? Try measuring the tank at the ends and the center, see if there really is a discrepancy.

If the tank is acrylic, it could be bent. While that's normally something that happens over the long term from water pressure, that could be it. You are certain this tank is glass?

Yes, it's glass - just a run-of-the-mill TopFin $26 tank. I seriously doubt they used tempered glass - usually just the bottoms of large tanks get tempered.

I can see the bow due to the glass top I put on the tank - snug on both ends, 3/16" gap between the glass and the edge in the middle.

hmm thats not right, a tank should never bow, that means pressure is being put on the glass and like a stick when enough pressure is applied or over a long period of time its going to snap.

30" long, is there a middle support brace? If not I would think it should have one especially being smaller glass because it is so short. If you don't take it back and want to fix it, I would suggest manufacturing a middle brace for it which could remedy the bowing in the tank.

Make sure that the glass top edges are cut straight; often they're not, which can make it look like the tank is bowing.

If that's not the case, I would immediately tear it down and get a replacement tank. Otherwise, you may end up with a huge mess on your hands.

I have a 20 long and it doesn't have a middle brace. There just isn't enough pressure to warrant one.

All tanks have a slight bow in them. If you measure your tank,ones with a middle support, half way down in the tank there will be measurable bowing.

Return it for another, fill the new one up and see if it bows, if it does then you know its normal,if not then you saved yourself a headache. I'd measure mine but my son likes to steal my tape measure.

30" long, is there a middle support brace? If not I would think it should have one especially being smaller glass because it is so short

My 29 is 30", no middle brace.

Keep us updated. I was always under the impression that only the bottom is suppose to bow a little.

I would honestly just get another tank. I know it is a lot of work, however maybe a lot cheaper than a disaster! Good Luck

My 29 would bow out a little (3/16" to 1/4") at the top-middle. And it was fine.

I seem to be in the overwelming minority - because I think it is nothing to worry about.

Whenever something has a load on it, it will deflect. The deflection is more pronounced when the distance spanned is longer.

The only defect that could cause excessive bowing, is the glass being too thin. But I doubt that this is the case.

I have 2 10 gal, 1 29 gal and the bow a little My 37 has a middle support and doesn't bow
Even the 10' bow about 1/8"
I think it's normal.

OK, thanks everyone. I'm think that the "it's normal" side of the argument makes sense. I'll keep an eye on things - no fish in it yet, so no lives are at stake.

Back
Top Bottom