20 Gallon Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI!!! I MIGHT GET A 20 GALLON TALL OR LONG OR WHATEVER IS BETTER AND I KIND OF WANT SOMETHING THAT IS NOT A NANO FISH. I FEEL LIKE I WANNA PUT SOMETHING THAT IS AROUND SIX INCHES. CAN I PUT ANYTHING LIKE ANGELFISH OR PICTUS CATFISH OR GOLDFISH OF ANYTHING? THANKS!!!!! PLEASE REPLY!!!! :fish1:

Go one size up, the 29 gallon. You will.have a lot more options.

I guess the best way to demonstrate the benefit of having a 29 gal. Over a 20 gal. Is a pic of my 29 gal. Reserve tank. I use it as a home for injured or misfit fish. Pictured are: 6" Electric Blue Jack Dempsey "female", OB Peacock, blurry Sunshine Peacock, if you squint. A couple of Convicts. Not pictured, two more Convicts, and a small Pleco.
Three Texas Holey Rocks, Manzanita and Maylasian bogwood.
Now that's a full load. It's been up and running for five years. I couldn't get half of that in a 20 gal. There is not that much of a price difference between a 20 and a 29. Regarding aquariums,
Its better to go bigger. Note: the second pic is the same Tank with four small Texas Holey rocks. Had to take one out to accommodate a pair of wayward fish.

Attachments

• 20171007_171337.jpg
    20171007_171337.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170810_133456.jpg
    20170810_133456.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 72
I agree if you could get a 29g that would give a lot more options! You could do maybe an Electric Blue Acara they get like 5in or so. By any chance could you get a 40b, that would provide a bunch of options and more room!

If you want a six inch fish, get a much larger tank. It's cruel to keep such a big fish in a 20 or even 29 gallon tank.

I'm in route to do my weekly WC on my aqua torture chamber, otherwise known as my over stocked 29 gal tank, Stock listed above. Just kidding :) as long as the tank is sufficiently scaped and filtered coupled with large WC's, a little "cramped" might be a more appropriate word over "cruel".

I agree that proper maintenance can maintain a healthy tank, even if the fish are crowded. I don't know what a fish feels or makes him/her happy but there's no question in my mind that adequate space for swimming is extremely important. Many studies have shown that animals in cramped spaces are more stressed and tend to be more aggressive. One scientific study is at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3276765/. Another less scientific but interesting study at How much swimming space do your fish need? — Practical Fishkeeping Magazine says that for moderately active fish, the tanks should be at least 5 times the length of the fish, preferably 6. And for active swimmers 1:8. And that's just for one fish.
Let's face it, you and I could live a healthy life in a 200 square foot house, but would we want to?

I believe we are in 100% agreement. All my tanks are populated with cichlids, which means overstocking to dilute aggression. This requires periodic adjustments when things become too crowded. Today I'll be packing up a dozen or so back to my LFS, trading them in for another group of juveniles to grow out. I guess it's all part of the fish keeping fun.

Back
Top Bottom