20 long sump design.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need help making my 20 long into a sump anyone have any dimensions I could use or any good diagrams? Also I was going to use 1/8in acrylic as baffles is that too thin? Thanks.

You may want to go to a glass shop and have them make you glass partitions,. It should only cost you about 25-30 bucks. I have witnessed the acrylic and plexi partitions bowing and slipping away from the silicone at times. With a 12" span and a generous amount of silicone it may hold, but it will definitely be perfect with precise glass partitions.

As for the design, what do you want to put in it?

You may want to go to a glass shop and have them make you glass partitions,. It should only cost you about 25-30 bucks. I have witnessed the acrylic and plexi partitions bowing and slipping away from the silicone at times. With a 12" span and a generous amount of silicone it may hold, but it will definitely be perfect with precise glass partitions.

As for the design, what do you want to put in it?

Ok that was my concern to of it bowing, Think ill find a glass shop to cutt me some glass.

For the design I wanted A drain/ skimmer section, a fuge, and a return pump area.

So, just tell them to make 4 panels that are 10" tall. One separating the intake and skimmer section from the refugium, and the other 3 as a partition and bubble trap before the return. Just have them sand 1 side, as you will only be exposed to that after they are glued in.

So, just tell them to make 4 panels that are 10" tall. One separating the intake and skimmer section from the refugium, and the other 3 as a partition and bubble trap before the return. Just have them sand 1 side, as you will only be exposed to that after they are glued in.
Ok thank you so much ill just have to find a glass shop now.:)

Measure the inside of the tank my aquaeon 20 long was 11 7/8". They can cut the glass exactly to big they have to sand it I had them sand off the corners on oneside to fit better against the silicone on bottom of tank. Bring it with you and they can cut it exact size. Silicone the the sides and bottom on the glass Them slip it in for a tight seal then seal around each side. I made my least baffle 3" high for I could have more water volume for return still directs bubbles to surface if I had any make it that far. My three are over under then over.

Hows the sump going? Going to follow this thread cause im making the same set up. :) what kind of silicon do i need to use from Home Depot that is safe for fish/corals?

So ive got the glass now 4 pieces cut to 10 tall and 11 5/8 wide. Do you think that 10in will be too tall in the sump?

You just have to set your water level in tank with overflow. Do you have drilled or hob? I have eight inch baffles with pump off I'm about two inches from top so you should be fine. Takes some time to adjust it.

What I did was figured a 20 long is 12 inches high so 3" hold 5gallons, so 10" will hold about 16 1/2 gallons that will give you 3 gallons of play.can you adjust the overflow height or might have to turn down return so the water is not half way up on overflow weirs. Drill two 1/8" holes on return just below water surface to prevent back siphon. Check out Melevs reef sumps good info and tips. I think you will be close think it thru and you should be fine.

What I did was figured a 20 long is 12 inches high so 3" hold 5gallons, so 10" will hold about 16 1/2 gallons that will give you 3 gallons of play.can you adjust the overflow height or might have to turn down return so the water is not half way up on overflow weirs. Drill two 1/8" holes on return just below water surface to prevent back siphon. Check out Melevs reef sumps good info and tips. I think you will be close think it thru and you should be fine.

Ok. i have a check valve so the holes arent needed but i will check out that site.

Back
Top Bottom