2015 project: living room focal point

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Different than everything else, this was an emotional purchase, without the background homework that I typically do.

No, I have no clue. Can you help me?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
They've proven to be some of the most challenging fish in the hobby. You'd be best to start doing massive amounts if research as there's miles of info out there. Get on a a discus forum. Start doing daily 50% wc's and invest in some high quality food. They do best in species only tanks. They like higher temps. 84ish. They like groups of 5+. They require absolutely pristine water. Your tank is well cycled right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank is cycled, ZERO everything. 60 gallons, heavily planted with 3-5 discus. Do I need something crazy like daily WC?

Tank is cycled, ZERO everything. 60 gallons, heavily planted with 3-5 discus. Do I need something crazy like daily WC?

zero everything tells me you aren't cycled. You should have nitrAtes.

Check those nitrates carefully because they are probably there, minus a tank still in cycle that hasn't converted nitrites to nitrates. If its been established a while with a constant ammonia source (fish or other) then there are nitrates. Discus require (if i remember) less than 5 ppm nitrates, ideally none and require near daily water changes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am doing my readings. Well, it seems slightly more labor intensive than other cichlids for sure.

But under my current setup, water changes are sink-based, not bucket based. It takes me 39 minutes to do a complete 50% water change, so I am planning on keeping them. As a matter of fact, I might follow the recommendation and have a nice size school.

Thank you for all the help. I believe, together, we can make this happen.

This situation is not new to me. If you get some fast growing plants, you can keep Nitrates near zero, as long as the tank is properly seeded and PWCs take place.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427776221.189871.jpg

Based on my readings, these guys like schooling. I might get a few more.

How long has the tank had an ammonia source?

That's long enough for typical nitrogen cycling to be occurring, was this fish in cycling with those guppies? Certainly isn't showing much nitrates(would have expected more), is your test kit within date and how long has it been opened? Showing 0 nitrites as well you say? Possibly not enough ammonia to keep a steady bacteria colony?

I'm super excited for you and think its neat your accepting the challenge. I will be following intently.

If you can maintain conditions I agree a school would be good. Maybe a middle ground of around 4 would be good for both their happiness as well as less pollution than 5-6.

Large, fast growing plants suck Nitrates like crazy. I had a tank that the ammonia readings were purple, off the scale, once bacteria started to chew them into nitrites, it also peaked. As soon as NitrAtes were conversed, I expected peaks as well, but by that time I used water sprites and BOOM: almost zero. Intense lights, carbon and cheapo plants is my secret.

Maybe I did not have enough ammonia to develop a large colony, but I did use safestart about a week ago.

I am shooting for 5 since odd numbers are documented to give better hierarchical structure to them. I'll grab three more this evening.

Thank you for all the support.

Maybe wait a few days until you are positive where you are in the nitrogen cycle before adding more as if your bacteria colonies are not up to the task of conversion yet then 5 may produce far too much ammonia to keep it in the safe range.

I'll give you some myrio, that stuff grows like nothing I've ever seen. Same with ludwiga..

Brookster, let me know if you want to stop by. I have questions about CO2 and discus, maybe we should chat and discuss new projects.

Brookster, let me know if you want to stop by. I have questions about CO2 and discus, maybe we should chat and discuss new projects.

I could bring some plants by, no projects unfortunately, it looks like I'll need a tank nanny on the payroll this summer..

That would be really cool. Is this saturday a good fit for you?

Liquid carbon only:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428198473.616774.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428198507.168525.jpg

A tiny little bit of hairy algae, but I am already doing 20ml of liquid CO2, 10 and 10 every 12hrs.

Back
Top Bottom