20g long build: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
20g long build: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet"

ignore this sorry

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463801830.775054.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463801830.775054.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463801846.072906.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463801846.072906.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 83
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463801871.022986.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463801871.022986.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 72
New Neons, once more with feeling

Took a trip to Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica today and bought six neons to replace those that died from the Petco batch. Here they are, waiting patiently for release into their new home:

27133534701_d5fd2a367d_z.jpg

That shop has good stock, so hopefully these little guys will last more than a week. :ermm:

It's cute: the one lone survivor from the last batch has been hanging around the bag, trying to figure out how to school with the new guys. :ROFLMAO:

Wow great colours! They don't look stressed at all 0.0 (which is great, but my neons were practically pale when we got them).

<g.m.t.a>

Thanks! They were pale when I got home with them --I think the Lyft ride stressed them, but they colored up quickly once they started floating in the tank.

Wowow. Mine took weeks before they got all coloured up. Lucky you!

My situation could also be because of the fact that they were in a 25 degrees tank, then -13 outside and then 26 degrees in mine xD You lucky people you don't live in temperamental Canada.

<g.m.t.a>

Full tank shot and new inhabitants

Haven't updated this in a while, because, really, there's not been much to say: all the fish have been happy and eating like little pigs, and no more neons have died. Plants are growing well, too, though I do want to get around to setting up DIY CO2, soon.

Green hair algae is threatening to become a problem. It's appearing in clumps on the driftwood. In small amounts, it's actually pleasing, but I can see where it will get out of hand. It's even sprouting from the gravel. I've been testing Nualgi to see how it does at algae control, but, so far (3-4 weeks) I'm not seeing much effect.

Also started running Purigen in the AC50. My goodness, what a difference that has made in the water clarity! :cool:

So, anyway, I picked up four more neons from the same store to bring my school to 11, plus five amano shrimps. They're currently in their bags acclimating. (After equalizing temps, I'm adding 10ml of tank water to the bags every five minutes for an hour.) I can't wait to try to get the shrimps out. :rolleyes: I suspect it will be the "pour into a net" method.

Anyway, here's a pic of my new aquatic cockroaches waiting patiently:

27000609023_87716ef1c0_z.jpg

Also, a full tank shot from this morning. The plants are going to get a trimming this weekend or next:

27576122486_65aabc1ccb_z.jpg

The last acquisition for the tank will be a small shoal (5-6) of corydoras habrosus, if I can find any around here. Haven't seen them yet.

The tank has come along nicely through the thread. I've never managed to get fish to breed in my tanks so congrats on having a fertile tank. I have had shrimp breed but never fish.

The tank has come along nicely through the thread. I've never managed to get fish to breed in my tanks so congrats on having a fertile tank. I have had shrimp breed but never fish.

Thanks! Just found another one today, can't be more than a day or two old. Of course, with platys (and guppies and mollies) you just look at them and they spit out fry. :ROFLMAO:

Nice progress OP. Glad your new Neons are doing well. Keep us updated regarding the hair algae and keep up the great work!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I think I'm getting the green hair and fuzz algae under control. (Fingers crossed) :bandit:

In my no fert/no CO2 shrimp tank, decreasing the lighting worked for rescuing green hair algae. The same might apply for the green fuzz algae. That tank only had moss and Subwassertang. That may not work in your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom