20G Reef Build! Follow along!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so, I decided to go with a 20G with natural filtration.

I used live sand, and live rock to help speed up the cycling process.

I think I mixed the salt alright considering it was my first time. The water is a bit cloudy still from the sand since I put it in after mixing the salt in the tank. I had no buckets big enough :( But my 5G buckets will be great for mixing for water changes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415428011.926352.jpg

I'm going to put in a clownfish for sure. What other reef safe fish do you guys suggest? And what do you suggest for a cleaning crew?

Thanks, hope I can get a couple to follow along this build with me as I hope to take it to reef stage with corals!

Sent from my iPhone.

Ok so, I decided to go with a 20G with natural filtration.

I used live sand, and live rock to help speed up the cycling process.

I think I mixed the salt alright considering it was my first time. The water is a bit cloudy still from the sand since I put it in after mixing the salt in the tank. I had no buckets big enough :( But my 5G buckets will be great for mixing for water changes.

View attachment 255153

I'm going to put in a clownfish for sure. What other reef safe fish do you guys suggest? And what do you suggest for a cleaning crew?

Thanks, hope I can get a couple to follow along this build with me as I hope to take it to reef stage with corals!

Sent from my iPhone.
wait to add the clownfish until you are sure it is safe. make sure that all is cycled and well, why hurt the fish.

wait to add the clownfish until you are sure it is safe. make sure that all is cycled and well, why hurt the fish.

I am going to make sure I do that! I'm just trying to plan ahead to figure out what I'm going to be keeping :)

Sent from my iPhone.

In my 20 atm I have one ocellaris clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 flame tail blenny (royal pain...), and I just added a yellow watchman goby. I'd say 4 fish is good for a tank this size :). So maybe a clown pair, goby of some type and another fish of your liking

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome I was definitely wanting to go with a type of clown fish. I want a type of goby but not sure which. I also want a purple fish of some sort as its my favourite colour ?

Sent from my iPhone.

What about cleaner fish? Do you have any of those?

Sent from my iPhone.

That would be nice, would two clowns be okay together? And the goby I like though I'm still looking for my perfect purple pet ;)

Sent from my iPhone.

Ohhh found a pretty one.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415434607.998950.jpg

Compatible?

Sent from my iPhone.

Pick either the orchid dottyback or royal gramma. Dottyback a can be buttheads!
Side note it drives my last nerve when sites list royal gramma (Gramma loreto) as a dottyback... They do not belong to the pseudochromis genus. They're a type of basslet... Sorry lol

Would they be compatible with a clownfish? I'll check liveaquaria. I like them both. Hard to pick. I'd have to see if my LFS could order it for me cause our saltwater selection in my little city of 75k is pretty sad.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415473137.721536.jpg

My tank is clearing up since I attached a HOB on the back. Just put it in to get the sand that's floating but should I leave it there? It's just an Aqueon carbon insert. My hydrometer went back to normal again on a side note.

Sent from my iPhone.

Would they be compatible with a clownfish? I'll check liveaquaria. I like them both. Hard to pick. I'd have to see if my LFS could order it for me cause our saltwater selection in my little city of 75k is pretty sad.

View attachment 255197

My tank is clearing up since I attached a HOB on the back. Just put it in to get the sand that's floating but should I leave it there? It's just an Aqueon carbon insert. My hydrometer went back to normal again on a side note.

Sent from my iPhone.

Yes they'd all get along. I'd add the dottyback last if you plan on getting one.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415598334.853266.jpg

It's all cleared up after I added in that temporary HOB filter. I have my live rock and my bottled bacteria and my tank parameters are:

Salinity: 1.021
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: I don't know the exact reading as I don't have the saltwater ammonia test kit. My master test kit tests both saltwater and freshwater but not for ammonia. But I tested it anyway and I know there is a presence of ammonia in the tank.
Nitrite: 0

I know my salinity should be a wee bit higher as well as my pH. We are in the first part of the cycle folks. ?

Sent from my iPhone.

Are you canadian? J-l are good to order from! I was looking at dotty sacks for my 100 that is cycling now!

Are you canadian? J-l are good to order from! I was looking at dotty sacks for my 100 that is cycling now!

Yes I am! I will look into them definitely.

Sent from my iPhone.

Oh and in other news I have what I think are feather duster worms (can someone verify?) starting to poke out now. I think that is a good sign.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415601439.317826.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415601481.810899.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415601513.792243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone.

I snagged 10 lbs of dry rock from a local reefer for $10 ? Pretty happy about that steal.

So I don't have an ammonia tester yet for my saltwater but my nitrite test isn't showing any yet. I added my three days of bottled bacteria so I'm just playing the waiting game now.

Added some baking soda last night to bring my pH to 7.5 and a little more today hopefully 8.0 tomorrow. Also added a bit more salt hopefully that will increase the salinity to where I want it. ?

Never been good with patience want to put in a clownfish but also am not gonna put the poor guy through that.

Sent from my iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom