20g tall 'feature fish' help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my 20g has filled in very nicely and I have removed my pom pom goldfish. I now have my 3 pearl danio (will probably add 3 more), 6 zebra danio, 7 'agassizi' cory cats (though I strongly suspect them to be 3 lined), and 2 oto's (will probably add 3 more).

My ph is 6.7, my ammo and nitrites are at 0 and my nitrates are at trace level (I'm using crappy test strips still, but levels had been maintained stable for a month before I started adding fish 4 at a time weekly, I removed the goldfish yesterday morning and levels were the same this morning as they were before lights out last night) and I'm starting research on what types of peaceful feature fish (or pair of fishes) would fit in best with this type of set up, so here I am- looking forward to hearing suggestions.

Other specs on my aquarium-
Plants- anubias nana petit, aponogeton ulvaceaus, rotala wallichii, rotala indica, ludwiga repens, bacopa caroliniana, cyperus helferi, cryptocoryne undulata, cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica', echinodorus "red ruben", echinodorus orientalis, java fern- "tropica", "narrowleaf", "windelov" and "malaysian red", nymphaea spp "red tiger", alternanthera reinicki "roseafolia".
Hardware- UTH 75W, fluval U3 running sponges, ceramic rings and polyfloss, 2X desk lamps running 50/50 cfl for 4 hours, 1 satellite + LED light fixture for 10 hours, O2 pump run on lowest setting from an hour after lights out to a half hour before lights on, and 1 back up 50W heater set at 72°F.
Substrate composition- layered- silver sand, laterite, ecocomplete/ pea gravel and ecocomplete/ sand top layer.
Substrate ferts- API root tabs and seachem flourish tabs.
Liquid Ferts- seachem flourish excel, seachem flourish, aquavitro envy, aquavitro propel, and occasionally tetra florapride, plus I use seachem replenish when my hardness starts to waiver.
This tank has been running for 6 months now and I have not lost any fish, despite an internal parasite infection over 2 months ago. The only plant that did not take was the downoi (pogostemon helferi) that was uprooted and eaten by my now banished starter goldfish "pom pom".

Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking about a pair of cockatoo apistos but I'm also curious about gourami, anyone know much about pearl gourami?

Think pearls get big?? Dwarf g. Would work..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are pearls similar in size to blue/ 3 spot? Also, with dwarf gourami would I be able to keep a trio of 2/f 1/m?

Yes with dwarfs you could do that. A 20 gallon especially a 20 tall is way too small for anything but dwarf gouramis. Rams or apistos would be cool as another option as stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What about a paradise gourami? I'm hesitant on dwarf gourami because of dwarf gourami syndrome, most pet places around here have it running rampant at this point in time.

DGD is indeed a problem that keeps occuring more and more often.. You have to be lucky with these fish, it's basically hit or miss! I myself have a flame gourami and he's awesome.. And since you got loads of plsnts it will feel at home right away! I thougt there was one species of DG that was immune to the disease.. Anyone?

I've heard that the thick lipped gourami is a dwarf that often is spared the virus, but I'm not sure

That's the one, thicklips :)

I've been looking into them to try to find a trio locally, alas the ones I've seen are all kind of sickly looking... Anyone have any luck ordering them online?

Back
Top Bottom