20g tall need some creativity ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrimpandram

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had to establish a new tank because the previous one was really in bad condition (algae and dirty). Need some ideas for stocking. Planning to have 1 or 2 big plants or just have carpet of Subulata. IMG_1478918797.515797.jpg

Unless the perspective is weird, that's more likely a 20 regular, not a 20 long. Regardless, a carpet of subulata would be neat. I might want a piece of drift wood angling up for an accent, too.

Unless the perspective is weird, that's more likely a 20 regular, not a 20 long. Regardless, a carpet of subulata would be neat. I might want a piece of drift wood angling up for an accent, too.

20 tall lol. I got about 5 dw.

if it's a tall I would say try to get some tall plants.
Water wisteria can grow tall and is pretty good for beginnners (i don't know your experience level) but if you break off a limb or a leaf just put it in the soil and it might grow into a new plant.
Anarchis and rotalla i think would also look good.
I have all of these in my low tech 55 gallon along with some others and besides some inital melting on the anarchis it is doing pretty well.

if it's a tall I would say try to get some tall plants.
Water wisteria can grow tall and is pretty good for beginnners (i don't know your experience level) but if you break off a limb or a leaf just put it in the soil and it might grow into a new plant.
Anarchis and rotalla i think would also look good.
I have all of these in my low tech 55 gallon along with some others and besides some inital melting on the anarchis it is doing pretty well.

Sounds good. I started my hobby since 5th or 6th grade and now I am in 11th grade with 2 tanks!

Haha well you are already more experienced than me. I have only been in the hobby for the last few months (and am already hooked/addicted).

but if you aren't already doing planted tanks I highly recommend it. There is no comparison to how much better they look compared to fake plants. I use leaf zone to help with my plants but I think i'm going to start using some of the flourish products for comparison soon.
I watched some youtube videos on aquariums and Jacobs aquariums and Dustin's fish tanks convinced me to go the planted route. they have spotlights on plants that you might be interested in as well. Also if you are buying from petsmart or petco read the tubes because some plants are only semi-aquatic and will not survive completely submerged.

Haha well you are already more experienced than me. I have only been in the hobby for the last few months (and am already hooked/addicted).

but if you aren't already doing planted tanks I highly recommend it. There is no comparison to how much better they look compared to fake plants. I use leaf zone to help with my plants but I think i'm going to start using some of the flourish products for comparison soon.
I watched some youtube videos on aquariums and Jacobs aquariums and Dustin's fish tanks convinced me to go the planted route. they have spotlights on plants that you might be interested in as well. Also if you are buying from petsmart or petco read the tubes because some plants are only semi-aquatic and will not survive completely submerged.

As you can see the photo I am doing planted tank. I watch Jacobs and dustins fish tank too! I also watch diy aquarium lol. I NEVER buy live stuff from PETSMART or PETCO since their plants are unhealthy and not fresh.

As you can see the photo I am doing planted tank. I watch Jacobs and dustins fish tank too! I also watch diy aquarium lol. I NEVER buy live stuff from PETSMART or PETCO since their plants are unhealthy and not fresh.

I've purchased several plants (Staurogyne repens, Alternantera reineckii, Bacopa caroliniana) from PETSMART and they have done well. They are in the plastic boxes marketed by TopFin. Tissue culture grown in a clear gel. These are the ones in the boxes, not the cylinders. I've seen some semi-aquatic plants grown in the latter containers (not always clearly marked as semi-aquatic).
The specimens in the tanks are hit or miss.

Most of the plants I have purchased at the big box stores in the little cylinder or pouch have done grand. I inspect them very carefully.

I've purchased several plants (Staurogyne repens, Alternantera reineckii, Bacopa caroliniana) from PETSMART and they have done well. They are in the plastic boxes marketed by TopFin. Tissue culture grown in a clear gel. These are the ones in the boxes, not the cylinders. I've seen some semi-aquatic plants grown in the latter containers (not always clearly marked as semi-aquatic).

Aren't they over priced tho?

I get the $4 small tubes. Now that I have an 18" tall tank, they look tiny, but I am confident they will grow out.

Actually, my first ludwigia got too tall for my 10 gallon, so I broke off the tops and stuck those in the dirt. Same for the moneywort.

1479309293877.jpg
1479309302385.jpg

$4 small tube plants. The water fern and ozelot sword were not, though.

Edited to add: the wisteria is brand new. It came from the tank and brought a bladder worm that survived a salt dip.

3 petcos in my area have fish tanks they keep actual submerged plants in and they are decently priced. none more than 7 dollars that i have seen.
but yeah pet smarts top fin is a little higher priced. in my experience.
I do have to inspect them carefully because sometime at least half of the plants will be dead and brown.

but on overall price I think its no more expensive than ordering plants offline and paying like 11 dollars for shipping. but you pay for something you can't see the quality of when you buy it. I'm not a big gambler so I like that i can see what i'm buying when i'm buying the tube....but i guess i pay a higher price for that security haha.

3 petcos in my area have fish tanks they keep actual submerged plants in and they are decently priced. none more than 7 dollars that i have seen.
but yeah pet smarts top fin is a little higher priced. in my experience.
I do have to inspect them carefully because sometime at least half of the plants will be dead and brown.

but on overall price I think its no more expensive than ordering plants offline and paying like 11 dollars for shipping. but you pay for something you can't see the quality of when you buy it. I'm not a big gambler so I like that i can see what i'm buying when i'm buying the tube....but i guess i pay a higher price for that security haha.

I think I would just go for lfs I just can't trust petco in my opinion.

I got some more plants today haha I got some from an LFS (some rotala and one mystery bunch that wasn't labeled and the guy helping me didn't know either....both at about 7 dollars each) and 3 bunches from different petcos. 2 were from an assorted bunch i got from the plant tanks (each about 4 dollars) and one was an assorted sword that comes in one of those packets (8 dollars).

Back
Top Bottom