20L has been upgraded to a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whehehehee! I'm getting 6 striped kuhlis, 12 CPD, a black devil snail, an ivory mystery snail, six nerites, a handful of assassin snails and 10 dream blue velvets delivered this Friday, not next Friday as I had planned. Oh biscuits. I've still got the 40 tub running, so I think all the new guys are going straight into that except the shrimp. The shrimp are going in the now quite heavily planted 5.5 with three male endlers. The water sprite and duckweed exploded in there, all of it floating. Should probably trim a bit at some point. At the mo... I can't even. ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry it didn't work out for you Laeris. Mine seems to be doing ok since I have been adding liquid carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whehehehee! I'm getting 6 striped kuhlis, 12 CPD, a black devil snail, an ivory mystery snail, six nerites, a handful of assassin snails and 10 dream blue velvets delivered this Friday, not next Friday as I had planned. Oh biscuits. I've still got the 40 tub running, so I think all the new guys are going straight into that except the shrimp. The shrimp are going in the now quite heavily planted 5.5 with three male endlers. The water sprite and duckweed exploded in there, all of it floating. Should probably trim a bit at some point. At the mo... I can't even. ?

Who did you order from?

AArts, who I not so secretly adore. USPS strikes again. I normally get deliveries around 130pm local. They showed up at 1130, by the time I jumped out of bed and got pants on, they were gone. I swear to Bob these guys train from kids at ding dong dip. It's fine. Next time, I'll run to the door in my 'roos. See how they like that.

I'll pick them up tomorrow morno at 9. It'll be ok, they were shipped express yesterday. We both thought they'd get here tomorrow (Preston, their cust service fellow, works hard, btw). Boogers to the lot of USPS.

I've got a nasty cold. Is it germ warfare to sneeze on the poorly written card before I hand it over? Sigh~ I won't. I'm a growed-up, supposedly. Hope there's no resistance because the so and so spelled my name wrong. Quite angry, actually. How do slow moving folks get their deliveries? Grrrrr...

Also, Alan Rickman. I don't like this week at all.

That's frustrating, is it a signature required package?

How do you find the quality of shrimp in terms of color compares to the photos on their site? I have a couple of shrimps projects in mind so I'm trying to put together a list of possible sources.

USPS has hit me a few times recently as well. One box obviously dropped on its side and popped both bags of shrimp(luckily only a few died). Pretty upset with them as well right now.

Caleb

USPS has hit me a few times recently as well. One box obviously dropped on its side and popped both bags of shrimp(luckily only a few died). Pretty upset with them as well right now.

Caleb

Luckily, AA uses styrofoam cups that are tightly surrounded by finely shredded paper to put the Kordon bags in. Look up cellulose insulation to see what I mean. Makes a mess, but whatevs.

That's frustrating, is it a signature required package?

How do you find the quality of shrimp in terms of color compares to the photos on their site? I have a couple of shrimps projects in mind so I'm trying to put together a list of possible sources.

I've only gotten cherries, blue velvets and wild type coloration bee shrimp. My albums show you their colors. Pretty spot on, actually. I had originally ordered blue diamond, but their shipment got delayed. I could've waited another week or two but meh. I'll finish cycling the other 5.5 and order those then.

The CPD, kuhlis and large snails will go in the 40 once I fix it.

Has anyone sprinkled osmocote on bare glass where plants will be, then laid their substrate? I don't think MTS or loaches will go 2"+ down under plants and release them, but wanted to check.

I've only gotten cherries, blue velvets and wild type coloration bee shrimp. My albums show you their colors. Pretty spot on, actually. I had originally ordered blue diamond, but their shipment got delayed. I could've waited another week or two but meh. I'll finish cycling the other 5.5 and order those then.

Thanks for the info, definitely helps. What pH do you keep your bees in?

:( Bees went bye bye. Remember that horrific incident with the hydrogen peroxide? I still feel sick thinking of that.

I can't do anything about my 7.6, though. They trundled along like life was breezy. 7.6 even in the 40b with all that peat-y dirt, against all expectations. 7.6 in the 5.5 no matter what I put in it, plants and wood. PM me, Preston will answer questions re: their levels in tanks, I'm sure. He's a good sort like that.

Reading your problems with dirt makes me less ambitious to try it out in my 20l. Oh btw im following now

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't be deterred. I used the wrong dirt in my excitement/impatience. It had high peat content, it wound up too fluffy. At first, all the fluffy was at one end, then I tried spreading out the fluffy to minimize the effect of it. Nope! Just spread the effect, actually.

Honestly, the fish and snails don't seem to care in the least. But the plants can't get good light when they're covered in yuck. I'll get a super embarrassing pic complete with emergency try to get the mess cleaned up measures before I tear it all down tomorrow.

Thinking of it, this whole thread is full of ermagerd don't do this! *shrug* Aside from peroxide-pocalypse deaths (one ember tetra, one CPD, blue velvet and bee shrimp, all my otocinclus, a blue mystery snail, nerites ? RIP, I'm sorry!), I regret only that accident. Everything else is hilarious mishaps brought about by experimentation and impatience.

Dirt away, just don't pull a Laeris and derp the dirt. :) I'd redo the dirt with plain fortified (red clay/fluorite, garden lime) topsoil, but I have 15 CPD, six striped kuhlis, six ember tetra, five mystery snails, three emerald corydoras, three dojo loaches, a black kuhli (trying to find more!), a calico longfinned bristle nose pleco, a black devil snail, an army of MTS and all those plants who can't stay in a 40 gal plastic tote while I take the one, two months on the outside to get the dirt right.

Last edited:
:( Bees went bye bye. Remember that horrific incident with the hydrogen peroxide? I still feel sick thinking of that.

I can't do anything about my 7.6, though. They trundled along like life was breezy. 7.6 even in the 40b with all that peat-y dirt, against all expectations. 7.6 in the 5.5 no matter what I put in it, plants and wood. PM me, Preston will answer questions re: their levels in tanks, I'm sure. He's a good sort like that.

I'm so sorry, completely forgot about that!

Were you supposed to be getting an order delivered today?

I picked it up today! Only one loss, the ivory mystery snail melted right out of her shell somehow. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452886822.699531.jpg Dream blue velvets!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452886853.820946.jpg Assassins! Kapow, bladder snails!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452886887.141405.jpg Mixed nerites-tiger, zebra and olive

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452886918.641881.jpg Black devil!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452886943.114985.jpgPoor, stressed CPD!

More to follow :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452887047.280050.jpg Striped kuhlis!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452887081.429894.jpg Pretty well packed.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452887105.000964.jpg Two grocery bags of the insulation to get to the packets. That's what I call well packaged!

I've just finished getting the shrimp into the 5.5. The 40 gal tub has been running since the rescape. I'm acclimating everyone to that, since the tank is going in there anyway. No snails going in there, though. I don't like trying to peel them off the sides.

I'll get some close ups of the shrimpies for you tom, Theresa. Today is dark day. With how dark they were out of the box, they don't seem particularly bothered/stressed. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452888146.514656.jpg Acclimating kuhlis. Took a few tries to get a shot without a drip hahahaha They were shipped double bagged with Purigen and whatever that fluffy plant is. Maybe bits of moss ball?

Yay, new friends! Kuhlis are my favorite fish :fish2:

Never even heard of the black devil, will have to do some reading....

Back
Top Bottom