20L light options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for a light setup for a 20long. Must be under $100. I thought about using a finnex planted plus but may be too bright fora asian river biotope. Plants will be low to medium light requirements. Does anyone known of a way to properly dim a finnex planted plus.

Looking for a light setup for a 20long. Must be under $100. I thought about using a finnex planted plus but may be too bright fora asian river biotope. Plants will be low to medium light requirements. Does anyone known of a way to properly dim a finnex planted plus.

You could get the Finnex Planted+ 24/7, which has dimming capabilities.

+1 with the Finnex P+ 24/7

It has dimming capabilities and I believe they come in 30" long fixtures.

Another option would be the Current Satellite LED+. It fits your budget and can also dim. @ 12" from light to sub, you'll be hitting about 36 PAR -- which is moderate light (lower end at least). Here's a 20L running a 24"-36" Sat+ as an example for you.

Didn't realize that finnex offered this. I have a 20 inch plan plus that I love on a 20 gallon tall. I just think it maybe a little bright for the biotope I am trying to do. they do offered in a 30 inch it looks like it is $10 more than the regular plan it plus thanks guys.

Didn't realize that finnex offered this. I have a 20 inch plan plus that I love on a 20 gallon tall. I just think it maybe a little bright for the biotope I am trying to do. they do offered in a 30 inch it looks like it is $10 more than the regular plan it plus thanks guys.

There's a manual setting on the 24/7 where you can adjust how bright you want it to be.

Caleb

There's a manual setting on the 24/7 where you can adjust how bright you want it to be.

Caleb

Caleb
Is there a way to program it 24/7 where u never have to touch it. Where it automatically gradually lights up to finally show full daytime light and then gradually start to dim down to a moonlight.

Caleb

Is there a way to program it 24/7 where u never have to touch it. Where it automatically gradually lights up to finally show full daytime light and then gradually start to dim down to a moonlight.

Welcome to 24/7 mode ;) I've ran it on that for a week now and 0 problems

Caleb

Welcome to 24/7 mode ;) I've ran it on that for a week now and 0 problems

Caleb

Where is everyone buying their finnex planted plus 24/7 from. No local dealers for me. The only place i found on internet is amazon and they are 1-4 month delivery.
What other options. If I do a satellite which model should I look at for dimness control, plant growth and a 24/7 option like the finnex

Where is everyone buying their finnex planted plus 24/7 from. No local dealers for me. The only place i found on internet is amazon and they are 1-4 month delivery.

What other options. If I do a satellite which model should I look at for dimness control, plant growth and a 24/7 option like the finnex

I got mine from Amazon. It depends on the size of the light. I got mine in less than a week.

Caleb

related question

A related question, not intended to hijack the thread...

Any need for CO2 when running a Planted + 24/7 on a 20 Long?

I am relatively new to the planted tank gig and have been thinking about upgrading from my single fluorescent fixture but do not want to have to run CO2.

thanks in advance
rk

A related question, not intended to hijack the thread...

Any need for CO2 when running a Planted + 24/7 on a 20 Long?

I am relatively new to the planted tank gig and have been thinking about upgrading from my single fluorescent fixture but do not want to have to run CO2.

thanks in advance
rk

For a tank that short if you're running it on the 24/7 day cycle mode then you'd prob want co2 and/or a very high glut/excel dosage. But if you're running it simply on the "on" mode you could play with the light's dimming capabilities to lower the par so you wouldn't need co2.

For a tank that short if you're running it on the 24/7 day cycle mode then you'd prob want co2 and/or a very high glut/excel dosage. But if you're running it simply on the "on" mode you could play with the light's dimming capabilities to lower the par so you wouldn't need co2.

I've actually ran mine on a standard 10g (same height as a 20 long) for a few weeks now. It's been on 24/7 mode the whole time. 0 algae. Plenty of ferts and standard glut dosing though. No co2 yet.

Completely IMO it will be alright but you will likely need to play with the PAR.

Caleb

Yup, as mentioned the ferts and glut are key, as is I'm assuming the large total plant mass in your tank. The fact that the 24/7 mode is non adjustable would lead me to think algae would become a problem long term (without sufficient plant mass, glut, ferts, etc) on a standard 20L though, but overall the 24/7 is a great bargain light due to its dimming capabilities in normal mode.

Yup, as mentioned the ferts and glut are key, as is I'm assuming the large total plant mass in your tank. The fact that the 24/7 mode is non adjustable would lead me to think algae would become a problem long term (without sufficient plant mass, glut, ferts, etc) on a standard 20L though, but overall the 24/7 is a great bargain light due to its dimming capabilities in normal mode.

It's definitely worth it. I've never seen such exponential plant growth so quickly in some of the most difficult plants I've kept such as a. Reinekeii and star repens in my tank.

Caleb

a question re ferts

Thanks for the replies.

i am planning on going with the 24/7.

Can I ask for a reference or direction on basic fertilizing?

I am using excel currently (weekly only) but am willing to bump it up/add since the change in light will likely call for it.

I would say I have a moderately planted tank but would be happy if it became a heavily planted tank...

thanks
rk

Thanks for the replies.

i am planning on going with the 24/7.

Can I ask for a reference or direction on basic fertilizing?

I am using excel currently (weekly only) but am willing to bump it up/add since the change in light will likely call for it.

I would say I have a moderately planted tank but would be happy if it became a heavily planted tank...

thanks
rk

Flourish comprehensive and API Leaf Sone would cover you.

Though I prefer PPS-PRO by GLA. they send you dry fertilizers and you mix it yourself. Just use a digital scale. It's much more cost effective. 1 batch has lasted me a few months easy and I'm only like halfway done with it. Stuff have plenty of dry left to last a LONG time.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom