25 gallon cloudy again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I turned the tank light on in my 25 gallon platy breeder tank, the water was all cloudy. After testing, my readings were all normal except the ammonia has jumped up to .25ppm. I am getting ready to do a 4 gallon water change on it but, what could be causing it to just cloud up all of a sudden? I dont think its BB because the tank has been cycled for weeks. I dont over feed, my platy's get pellets every other day and the tank is vac'd 2 times a week.

4 gallons won't be enough to get rid of that ammo reading.

75% will lower it to a "safe zone" level.

Has anything changed in the tank? Stocking level etc?

Exactly how long has the tank been cycled?

Sorry for the grilling lol

Really? a 75% PWC to lower .25ppm? From what I read, .25 was in the safe zone.

Added 2 fish but removed 1 of them. That was 3 days ago.

Tanke has been cycled for probably a month now.

ccross said:
Really? a 75% PWC to lower .25ppm? From what I read, .25 was in the safe zone.

Added 2 fish but removed 1 of them. That was 3 days ago.

Tanke has been cycled for probably a month now.

I don't really think anything over .15 is safe, but that's my personal view lol :)

Adding the fish increases the bioload so maybe the filter needed to build up a bit more BB to process the extra waste, that's my best guess...

I don't really think anything over .15 is safe, but that's my personal view lol :)

Adding the fish increases the bioload so maybe the filter needed to build up a bit more BB to process the extra waste, that's my best guess...

I'm running a Tetra Whisper EX45 for a 40 gallon tank. Its rated at 240 GPH so I doubt thats the issue :)

ccross said:
I'm running a Tetra Whisper EX45 for a 40 gallon tank. Its rated at 240 GPH so I doubt thats the issue :)

The GPH doesn't mean a thing if the filter doesn't house enough BB lol.

I'll explain it this way;

If you cycle a tank with say 4 platy and once it's cycled you add a pleco an another platy then the BB won't be able to handle the extra load, see? :)

There will have to be a reason for the ammo jump, any ideas yourself? :)

The GPH doesn't mean a thing if the filter doesn't house enough BB lol.

I'll explain it this way;

If you cycle a tank with say 4 platy and ounces it's cycled you add a pleco an another platy then the BB won't be able to handle the extra load, see? :)

There will have to be a reason for the ammo jump, any ideas yourself? :)

I'm sure its just the extra fish that were added. But I wouldnt think it would cloud the tank up like this. Thats mainly what I am concerned about. THe ammo jumb doesnt bother me much, I have dealt with worse ammo spikes :) I have 0 trites and trates so I just wanna figure out how to get rid of the cloudiness :)

0 trAtes? Hmmm that's not right, a cycled tank should have some trAtes (unless it is heavily planted lol)

How did you cycle the tank? :)

Everything in my tank, water, gravel and filter media was moved from another cycled tank. Once everything was swapped I added a few fish at a time while I monitored my water. I have had 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates since the tank was up and running.

Zero nitrates usually indicates that the tank has not cycled (or it is heavily planted).

Anyway. Is it a white cloudiness? If so there is not much you can do but give it time to clear itself up. Water changes really won't help. It is not BB but it is a bacterial bloom. It is usually the result of over feeding and/or lax tank maintenance. Feed every other day (and only a small amount), do a few good gravel vacs and it will like clear up in a week or two.

Zero nitrates usually indicates that the tank has not cycled (or it is heavily planted).

Anyway. Is it a white cloudiness? If so there is not much you can do but give it time to clear itself up. Water changes really won't help. It is not BB but it is a bacterial bloom. It is usually the result of over feeding and/or lax tank maintenance. Feed every other day (and only a small amount), do a few good gravel vacs and it will like clear up in a week or two.

I already said that I only feed every other day and I vac 2 times a week,,

ok, now all of my platy's are sitting on the bottom of the tank. What is going on?

As stated before, your tank does not seem to be properly cycled. Check the ammonia and nitrite and do an appropriate water change ASAP.

Just removed all but 2 plants and decorations and found 2 dead cory's. THey look like they've been dead a while. It looked like they had burrowed under one of the decorations. No3 is about 20 and No2 is 0. Ammonia is between 0 and .25ppm. I did a 50% water change and treated the tank with a dose of prime. The fish are more active now. I also vacuumed like crazy. I will repeat all again tomorrow.

ccross said:
Just removed all but 2 plants and decorations and found 2 dead cory's. THey look like they've been dead a while. It looked like they had burrowed under one of the decorations. No3 is about 20 and No2 is 0. Ammonia is between 0 and .25ppm. I did a 50% water change and treated the tank with a dose of prime. The fish are more active now. I also vacuumed like crazy. I will repeat all again tomorrow.

That will do it. Good catch.

That will do it. Good catch.

Seems like that would make the ammonia higher than .25ppm tho. Oh well, I'll just stay on top of it for a few days. Would hate to lose my platy's. Have 3 preggo's in there :)

Tank is MUCH less cloudy today. But, I have 2 pregnant platy's just sitting on the bottom of the tank....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom