29 gallon fishless cycle!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 29 gallon freshwater tank has been cycling for 4 days now. I'm making this thread a journal for my cycling, and hope to get a lot of questions answered. When I first started I dosed to around 4ppm maybe alittle less and today I checked my water and the ammonia looks to be closer to 2ppm. But it's hard for me to read greens. What does this green look like to everyone?

Attachments

• image-3220338277.jpg
    image-3220338277.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 107
My readings are

Tap water:
Ammonia: .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
pH: 7.8-8

Tank water:
Ammonia: ??
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
pH: 7.8-8

Oh yeah and here is a picture of the tank..
I have a aqua clear 50 filter

Attachments

• image-3150928912.jpg
    image-3150928912.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 109
paytertot said:
Looks like 1 ppm to me. What are your plans for the tank?

Haven't really decided yet. I want something like a school or two, then a trio, and a pair. Want some rams for sure. And about the ammonia. Does that mean it is just dropping or should I add more. I know it needs to be around 4ppm to kick start the cycle

paytertot said:
You add 4 ppm and then when it gets to 1ppm or below, you dose back up to 4 again

I did add to 4ppm I thought I saw correct

paytertot said:
I know, I'm just outlining the process. When it drops to 1ppm or below you dose back up again.

Ok thanks. I'll dose to 4ppm again tonight.

So I've been tested my water daily and got it back to a Steady 4ppm. My pH is also staying at 8.0. But I looking unite tank today ad some some algae growing on the End of the In take tube. Is this normal?

Attachments

• image-4034969680.jpg
    image-4034969680.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 78
In my opinion, yes, this is prime time for algae with all the ammonia You've got in there, especially if you're keeping the lights on.

paytertot said:
In my opinion, yes, this is prime time for algae with all the ammonia You've got in there, especially if you're keeping the lights on.

Ok cool. And quick question. Is it possible to have a pelco and cories in the same tank?

Just tested my water. And got these readings. Looks like
ammonia 2ppm
nitrite ??
Nitrate 5ppm

Should I wait tell ammonia drops lower then redose to 4ppm? What are your guys and gals opinions

Attachments

• image-3574625114.jpg
    image-3574625114.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 74
Is it normal to see nitrates at this stage. Thought thy did not show until nitrites started dropping.

Tyler3533 said:
Is it normal to see nitrates at this stage. Thought thy did not show until nitrites started dropping.

Does your tap have nitrates? Mine does. If not, your probably seeing the beginning of the nitrites being processed.

Yeah I think thats what it is. Because it is a very low reading. Lower than 5ppm to me. What does the nitrite reading look like to you?

Nitrites look between 0.5 and 1ppm to me, but it doesn't really matter, your cycle is progressing nicely. As long as your nitrites are not off your chart (nitrites over 10ppm can stall your cycle) you don't need to worry. And yes, it's normal to start seeing nitrates at the stage you are in, it's a good sign.

The liquid test kits are much better than test strips but they are still fairly inaccurate due to the subjectivity in determining color and inconsistencies in the color charts (there are a few threads on this). I own both the master API chart that you have and individual charts and there are significant color differences between them. That being said the liquid test kit will suffice for most aquarists needs. In a cycled tank ammonia and nitrites should be 0 if you get a reading something is up and obviously the higher the reading the worse for your fish so a liquid test kit can get you this info. Bottom line is don't worry too much about interpreting minor color differences on those kits.

XimeD said:
Nitrites look between 0.5 and 1ppm to me, but it doesn't really matter, your cycle is progressing nicely. As long as your nitrites are not off your chart (nitrites over 10ppm can stall your cycle) you don't need to worry. And yes, it's normal to start seeing nitrates at the stage you are in, it's a good sign.

The liquid test kits are much better than test strips but they are still fairly inaccurate due to the subjectivity in determining color and inconsistencies in the color charts (there are a few threads on this). I own both the master API chart that you have and individual charts and there are significant color differences between them. That being said the liquid test kit will suffice for most aquarists needs. In a cycled tank ammonia and nitrites should be 0 if you get a reading something is up and obviously the higher the reading the worse for your fish so a liquid test kit can get you this info. Bottom line is don't worry too much about interpreting minor color differences on those kits.

Ok thanks for the reply! Should I do any sort of water change soon? Or should I wait tell the ammonia gets lower like around .5, do a 15% change and redose to 4ppm?

Back
Top Bottom