29 gallon journey/journal/build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i know right? they are so pretty! heres the tank as of now: can't wait to get some fishies in it!

Attachments

• image-3027376025.jpg
    image-3027376025.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 103
They are. I like how your tank is turning out. I'm getting impatient too. I'm always about instant gratification. I have zero patience. I want to see fishies in my tank.

Bud said:
They are. I like how your tank is turning out. I'm getting impatient too. I'm always about instant gratification. I have zero patience. I want to see fishies in my tank.

Ya... Man... I'm nearly broke! Chore time lol. I need at least 20 more bucks by Monday!

Hey, does anybody else with AC filters use the bio-max pellet thingies? I'm not right now, since I don't know what they do... Should I put them in?

That is the media designed for bacteria growth with lots of surface area. By all means use them. Tuck them down in the bottom.

rich311k said:
That is the media designed for bacteria growth with lots of surface area. By all means use them. Tuck them down in the bottom.

Oh, why yes... That would be important lol. And yet another question lol. I'm running the 10 gallon's used filter media in the 30 for now, but when should I take it out? I was thinking after I'm cycled, but I'm not sure.

rich311k said:
Wait a few weeks, maybe a month after the cycle is done and then you can remove it.

Awesome! Well... I'm off to put in the pellet thingymajigers lol.

I'm having a rough time with my pygmy chain swords. I'm using a liquid fert, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I believe swords are heavy root feeders, so I think root tabs would be a good idea.

Porous ceramic rings like the Bio-max are pretty much the best filter media out there. I put them in a nylon bag and add them to all my filters that have any room at all for extra media. :)

I have pygmy chainsword also but it doesn't seem to take off unless its in pretty high light and regular ferts. Dwarf sag is much less demanding, the only drawback is that dwarf sag can sometimes get a little big.

@homedog, I like the tank design, the rocks look great.

jetajockey said:
I have pygmy chainsword also but it doesn't seem to take off unless its in pretty high light and regular ferts. Dwarf sag is much less demanding, the only drawback is that dwarf sag can sometimes get a little big.

@homedog, I like the tank design, the rocks look great.

Oh well. I'll see how it does I guess.

Cool, ok, just did a 50% water change on both tanks lol. Will test in a minute when everything settles.

Man... This driftwood and I have a love hate relationship lol. I love the shape of it, but the darn thing refuses to sink!!! That limits my aquascaping options lol.

if you really feel the need to do it, put the new fish in a bucket, then take a container with tank water in it and run an airline from it to the other one, make a siphon in the airline tube so that the tank water drips into the bucket with the new fish in it. You can adjust the flow rate by using either an air valve, or just tie a knot in the airline and tighten/loosen it as needed.

jetajockey said:
if you really feel the need to do it, put the new fish in a bucket, then take a container with tank water in it and run an airline from it to the other one, make a siphon in the airline tube so that the tank water drips into the bucket with the new fish in it. You can adjust the flow rate by using either an air valve, or just tie a knot in the airline and tighten/loosen it as needed.

Oh cool! I was curious, I'll probably do it with the rams just to be safe.

Yet another question lol. What temp would be good for my tank to sit at? I was thinking 78, but I'll see what y'all think. Here's my list again:
6 black skirt tetras
6 rummy nose tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams (pair)
1 starlight bristlenose pleco
1 male betta

Ok,
Ammonia:4 (dosed up last night... Think I might have overdosed lol)
Nitrites: .75
Nitrates: around 30
Am I ok? I'm a bit confused that my nitrite dropped so dramatically with only a 50% water change.

Back
Top Bottom