29 Gallon Planted; What plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanteD817

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I think I have decided on species, and now I need ot know what species of plants I should get. The tank will be stocked with a pair of rams or other small SA cichlid, 2-3 african leaf fish, and a small group of catfsih (possibly corries, 2-3) They all need similiar conditions.

My concern is, leaf fish like a dim tank, with barely any light. But they need plants, so what would be my best bet to combine low-light and but live plants?

Great low light tolerant plants are java fern, mosses, crypts, anubias, and swords. I think wisteria and dwarf sag would be okay too.

IMO the leaf fish will do best in a species only tank, but it still may work with a pair of rams. I'd only do 1 or two leaf fish- if the rams breed you could have some aggression issues between them and the leaf fish. As for plants, Brain named quite a few. I would add floating plants such as water lettuce or salvinia to block more light from entering the tank for the leaf fish. Also, you may want to have a larger group of cories than 2 or 3. Usually they do better in groups of 4 or more. Another bottom dweller you might want to consider is a bristle nose pleco.

Thanks for the help guys! I think i will use java fern, amazon sword, and floating water moss. I think i will change the stock to one leaf fish, a pair of rams and 6 cories.

Back
Top Bottom